PDA

View Full Version : Security

John Lowin
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
The image was created in Samburu, Kenya in dappled sunlight. This youngster is only three or four says old, young enough that he hasn't yet taken his first mud bath. Samburu's soil is Georgia clay red, which you can see on his mother's hide. But he just has a couple of reddish spots on his rump from his mother's trunk. We spent several days following his group and really enjoyed his antics. By the time we had to leave the area, he had already developed an attitude and some independence, and was no longer as clinging to his mother. Here he is really seeking security. This is a slide scan so no detailed exposure data is available. I hope you like it, thanks for looking. Comments and critique eagerly sought, I'm here to learn. - John

Nikon F5
Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF
Kodak E100 VS
Handheld

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I really like the mood in this one. It does tell the story and it must have been a great experience to spend time with them.

DanWalters
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Very intimate image. Like the color and the texture of the adult elephant.

John Blumenkamp
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
An excellent image... I agree with other comments - great intimacy captured, and the tones in the image are awesome.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Good job on the scan quality and great image as outlined above by the others.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
John,
I like the interactions, the composition and the texture. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Arthur Morris
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Ditto Sabya and the rest. The image looks like a photograph of metal statues. The only thing that bugs me is the clipped toe on the left frame edge. All in all, superb.

Meint Sijp
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Whel epxosed and nice details. and have to agree with the other. Exellent job John.

:)

Fabs Forns
02-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Such tender moment, with great light. Thanks for sharing this one!

Grace Scalzo
03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Fantastic, intimate image. Love the perspective that it gives, the textures of the elephants' hides, the color palette, and the way you've told the story with composition.