PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Duck

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Photographed at Barnegat Light on the weekend. This is one of my favorite duck species and I don't get tired of photographing and watching them.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/109418898/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1000s, f/8, EC -0.67, ISO 400

Paul Lagasi
02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice capture Axel, I've still never seen one of these ducks in breeding plumage, the head turn, preening, wing up exposing red flank, sharpness all make for a keeper. My only question is the color of the flank and head is a little too red, when I looked at your photo of this duck from 2008, the flanks and head were a little more brownish-red (rust). Does the red color come out more this time of year? Paul

Krijn Trimbos
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Axel,
It looks excellent from here! Love the intimate angle, headturn, colors and exposure. I would suggest to move the subject a little more to the right of the frame as it is a little too close to the left of the frame for my taste. Otherwise beautiful!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice capture Axel, I've still never seen one of these ducks in breeding plumage, the head turn, preening, wing up exposing red flank, sharpness all make for a keeper. My only question is the color of the flank and head is a little too red, when I looked at your photo of this duck from 2008, the flanks and head were a little more brownish-red (rust). Does the red color come out more this time of year? Paul

Thanks, Paul! I changed the presets in ACR, I hope this looks closer to reality.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
I like it a lot Axel Nailed the exposure and is one tough duck to expose properly !!!

I like the placement in frame as presented with the duck looking right needs less room on the left !!! Big Congrats !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Really like the pose and action you captured in this image Axel and I have to agree with you they are really gorgeous looking ducks. As yet I have not had the opportunity to see one. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Looks good! Duck placement in the frame is fine in my books. I'm hoping to see and photograph this species someday :-)

Grady Weed
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree with Alfred all the way. Excellent image all the way around. My wife and I want to go to the lighthouse soon to get them before they leave. Would you be interested in meeting us there? And, are they still there? When do they leave?

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree with Alfred all the way. Excellent image all the way around. My wife and I want to go to the lighthouse soon to get them before they leave. Would you be interested in meeting us there? And, are they still there? When do they leave?

Thanks, Grady! I'm not sure how long they stay, maybe a few more weeks. I photographed them 3 days ago. If you come down here then let me know and I will try to join you. There is one harlequin spot closer to you in Rockport, MA which is on Cape Ann.

Steve Maxson
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Excellent, Axel. The pose is very interesting and I like how you caught him riding up on a wave. The exposure, comp, and sharpness are right on.

Ramon M. Casares
02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Love the pose and comp, light and colors as well as detail are just terrific IMO. Congratualitons!!

Grace Scalzo
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Fantastic image, Axel. A hard subject to expose properly for and this looks perfect. The preeing behavior is nice.

DanWalters
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Love the low angle and the colors in the duck. Nice shot.

Bonnie Block
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Excellent, Axel! Super details and excellent exposure on one tought duck--even to get close too!
Congrats!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Great detail and exposure, love the pose nice capture

Chris van Rooyen
02-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Lovely light and detail, great exposure on the whites!