PDA

View Full Version : Best Time for?

Paul Lagasi
02-23-2009, 11:36 PM
When is the best time to photograph Red Knots feeding on Horseshoe Crabs during spawning? Best Place? Jersey or Delaware?

Bill Jobes
02-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi Paul,

Last spring, I saw good numbers of Red Knots feeding on horseshoe crabs along the bay beach at Port Mahon Road east of Little Creek in Delaware.

This was in the middle of May, though I presume Nature's migratory timetable varies year-to-year.

While in the area, a stop at Bombay Hook NWR is well worth the time any time of year, but especially during migration.

I plan on visiting there this spring, and I'll post any observations.

Art Peslak
02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
You want to go after the first full moon in May which is when the horseshoe crabs usually come ashore.
Depending on the year, the best places on the New Jersey side are Reeds Beach and the next beach south which is about 1/2 mile south. They rope off the beaches and you have to hope that the red knots are feeding near the roped off area. If you get there early in the morning before anyone else, you can sneak around the ropes. However, there are also tons of ruddy turnstones, and other shorebirds around on the beaches so there is not shortage of photography opps. Those beaches are strictly a morning shoot.

Dave Woeller
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I second Reeds Beach. Although the number of horseshoe crabs keeps dropping off each year and thus the number of Red Knots is also diminishing. Hope you can get some good shots this year.

Earl West
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Paul,
Port Mahon road in Little Creek, De is a great place to shoot Red Knots, There will be hundreds of them and you can get close enough to get great shots from your car. The light is with you in the afternoon and evening. In the morning you'll be shooting into the rising sun. Besides Red Knots there are hundreds of Ruddy Turnstones, Dunlin, Willits, Sanderlings, gulls and theres a Osprey Nest on Port Mahon Rd. There's also a Photographers Blind, though it's bit precarious getting to it. Full Moon in May is best, but they are there all around that time. You can spend the morning at Bombay Hook NWR (it's about 15 miles north of Little Creek) that's when the best light for shooting into the freshwater impoundments is. Bombay Hook is also a great place to shoot Red Foxes and Kits also. Hope this helps.
Earl

Earl West
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Paul,
I live only a few miles from there, so if there's anything I can help you with about the area just let me know. I'd be glad to share info. Also on Port Mahon Road there is no restriction to where you can go and the distance from the road to the shore is so short that close up shots are easy. There's also a fishing pier if you're inclined to bring a pole.
Earl

Paul Lagasi
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for information folks...I will be down that way, 3rd or 4th week of May...Paul

Earl West
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi,
I was at Port Mahon Rd. in Little Creek, Delaware on Sunday. The Horseshoe Crabs are coming in laying eggs and the shorebirds are showing up to feed on them. There were hundreds of Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderlings and Dunlin. The laughing gulls are mating. Red Knots are just stating to come in. I saw two on Sunday. That should increase a lot in the next week or two.
Earl