PDA

View Full Version : Keekaboo

Vincent Grafhorst
01-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post on BPN and I am looking forward to many constructive critiques!

This photo is one of my personal favorites from my latest trip to Moremi game Reserve and I would like to hear what others think. I spotted this hippo wealking between the trees along the water edge and this idea came to my mind. i managed to get ahead of the hippo, where I had a clear view and waited for it to pop its head around a tree, which it did!

Canon 40D, EF500/4 + 1.4xTC, ricebag
1/200sec @ f/5.6, iso 200, full frame

Axel Hildebrandt
01-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Welcome, Vincent! I really like the unusual setting and composition. The BG looks a bit noisy but is easy to fix. In case you sharpened the entire image, you could selectively sharpen the hippo only. Keep them coming,

Jim Poor
01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Nice. If a hippo can be cute, this one is. I only wish he had come just a hair farther forward to get the back of his jaw a little farther removed from the tree.

Very nice image and great eye contact.

D. Robert Franz
01-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I love images such as this. A vertical compositon may have been even stronger since the large amount of space to the right adds little to the image. Great color saturation... Keep them coming..

Cindy Cone
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I think this is great, Vincent. The atypical pose and setting really make this one for me.

Alfred Forns
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I love it Vincent !!!!! The peak-a-boo is very effective and got to love that face I think I would like it even more without the tree on the right? Just cropped in front !!!! Big Congrats !!!!

Judd Patterson
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
I definitely love this image...a favorite species of mine! The peek-a-boo pose is great, but do wish that the hippo was showing a bit more or in a vertical image. I sure hope to see a hippo in the wild someday. Fine work Vincent.