PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel Light

Harold Davis
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
never thought i would be using the bigma for landscapes!! but here is one. taken from the causeway to sanibel island. no sky so i decided to go with a pano crop.

D300, Bigma at 500mm, f/13, 30s, +2.0EV, ISO 200. remarkably enough, i didnt run any NR on the sky. just a little on the water to smooth it out a little.

i took several exposures so i could do an HDR, but saw no need to do it here. that sound right?

thanks for looking and i appreciate your comments.

Michael Pancier
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I was going to note as to how the heck you got that comp. It's almost impossible to shoot that lighthouse. The super teles are great for landscapes. I actually could have used one in Arches. I may crop some off the right.

Harold Davis
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
thanks michael. now that i look at it more, it seems to have a blue cast to it too.

Michael Pancier
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
thanks michael. now that i look at it more, it seems to have a blue cast to it too.

in that light a blue cast is expected....:D

Adams Serra
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Harold,
my first thought was the same thing Michael said. how did you get that composition. I like it a lot. the only thing I am not so sure about is the buildings on the left side. Lets see what the others say.

Adams

Joe Senzatimore
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I would opt for a crop of the buildings. Aside from that I think this is a fine shot. I have seen many shots of this lighthouse but few as nice as this. A different view and a great idea with the pano.

Steve Maxson
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Very cool, Harold. I've been to Sanibel many times, but never thought to try an image like this - next time! I like all the bluish tones - they give the image a nice feel. I could go either way regarding the distant buildings on Ft. Meyers Beach. The image works fine as is IMO.

Dave Mills
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Harold...You have a good one here! I too was wondering where you shot this from. I like the lighting and your crop. In my opinion the lights on the left are fine and don't pull you away from the center of interest. They also give a sense of dimension within the image. The overall blue caste is natural for this type of image and would look odd without it. Well done!!

Roman Kurywczak
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey Harold,
Way to go! Nice use of the Bigma! Really like this one! I may go with Michael's bit of a crop off the right (center of far right tree).......but I would definitely keep the city lights....just another layer.....and they are very muted. Very nicely presented and done! I see we may be creating a landscape monster!

Harold Davis
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks guys!! i shot this thing starting with the 18-200 at 200, then the 70-300 at 300 then i said, geez, i need the 500!!! had to tear down everything and put the mongoose back on in the dark!!

i really appreciate the comments. thanks roman, you are right. i love the landscapes. now i just need some filters!!!!:D

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Well done Harold

John Blumenkamp
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Very well done indeed... great composition - I like the pano aspect to this one.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
My vote is crop from right and leave the left alone.

Hey, have been using my 500mm and then my 600mm for landscapes for years.:D