PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland vs. The Alligator Farm Mid March

Randy Stout
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Good afternoon:

I will be in the Orlando area in mid March, and would appreciate the pros and cons of these two spots. Will have just one day free, so won't be able to hit both.

I have a wide variety of focal lengths, so reach not a big concern. Would love to have reasonably clear sight lines. Is one place more photography friendly?

Thanks so much in advance

Randy

Alfred Forns
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Randy

You are going to get bias opinions on both. :)

Actually both places are great and can't be wrong with either one. Gatorland was not photography friendly at all but now is turned around, you will be well treated and I'm sure the staff will do everything possible to help out.

Check out in the South East Chapter and Mike has given some great updates to Gatorland.

Maxis Gamez
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Randy,

Adams Sierra was at Gatorland last weekend and had a fantastic time. I was there the weekend before that and I had an excellent time. Mid March should be excellent with many birds around. I will be doing a class there the 14th and 15th. If you are going to be in Orlando, there is no reason to drive to Alligator Farm. However, Both location have their own advantages!

Whichever one you choose, you'll have a great time and that's what is all about!

Good luck!

Lana Hays
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Randy
Another vote for Gatorland. Mike has gone above and beyond to make Gatorland very photographically friendly. Mike is a good photographer himself so he knows how to make it work. I was so impressed when I was down there last year. Mike personally gave me a tour, pointing out where and when to find certain birds and giving some good suggestions for flight photography.....all the while taking things like BG and light into consideration. I will be returning again this year for a couple of days during my spring break.

allanrube
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
If one goes to Gatorland in the afternoon what lenses would you suggest using a Nikon 1.5 DX body?

Nancy A Elwood
02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
If one goes to Gatorland in the afternoon what lenses would you suggest using a Nikon 1.5 DX body?

Hi Allan. In the afternoon a longer lens is better, because you will mostly be shooting across a small body of water. I use my 500 alot there in the afternoon.

allanrube
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you Nancy.

Marina Scarr
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I would also suggest that you bring something in the range of 70-200mm, esp for morning shooting.