PDA

View Full Version : Tracks

Steve Maxson
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Not the usual broad vista, but landscapes come in all sizes (in my mind, at least :) ). This is a very simple composition of red fox tracks in the snow on a frozen lake. I like how the tracks curve in and out of the frame. 40D, 90mm tilt/shift tilted to maximize DOF, 1/25, f/16, ISO 100. Full frame. Comments are welcome.

Grady Weed
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
In this case the blue cast helps make the cold and lonely feel. The leading line of the tracks have a half moon look to them. Well seen.

Harold Davis
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
nice play on light and shadows. i like it and wonder what it would look like as a black and white.

Roman Kurywczak
02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey Steve,
Not the most stunning subject.....but stunning light on a simple yet effective comp. The crescent moon shape of the tracks with the ridge of snow.......would be nothing.....without the wonderful low light. I am going to point to this thread in the future so people will understand when I say that proper light brings out all the details in the snow (& sand for that matter). I've debated a crop.....just below the top shadow line....so the trail doesn't come out the corner.....but either way.....excellent job on the lighting and which made a very ordinary scene....extrordinary!

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Very well seen and composed Steve for all the reasons mentioned. I think Roman's crop suggest strengthens the image.

Tom Dolezal
02-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Lovely simplicity in the composition enhanced by the tonal changes as the footprints lead your eyes into the frame. Like the semi circle route of the tracks.