PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Shrike

Grady Weed
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 2/12/2009 07:59:35, Shutter Speed 1/2000Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM. Hand held leaning against the bed of the truck. 85 % of frame left here and cropped for a 8x10 print.

One of 6 loggerheads I found at Joe Overstreet landing, just to the far right at the edge of the campgrounds and before you go into the sweet spot along the fence line. The sun was to my left and behind me. But at this location, it screams along the sky and is very bright after 8:30 am. Thats why the breast seems a tad warm and the shadow on the back side is as is. Since this is my only Loggerhead Shrike image, and not too bad I think, it will do for now. I had to leave just a few minutes later to go to the hospital in Daytona Beach to visit my wifes grandmother.

He let me have about a dozen shots and flew off. I should say, I like the fence post and wire. I think it adds to the habitat type image, which is what I wanted to get, and represents what I saw. I would be nice to blow it up some for a eyeball image. But I like this one as is. Maybe you don't. If so, it's OK. Leave comments anyway. Thanks for looking.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I like the pose, details and BG. The perch is a bit large for my taste and maybe some NR on the BG.

joel quenneville
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Congratulations on adding a new species to your portfolio. You have a nice pose here with a pleasing BG. The barbed wire is a subtle detail that tells another small portion of the story. As you mentioned in your post, the sidelighting made your whites a little hot. I would suggest trying out Shadows and Highlights.

Lance Peters
02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Like the pose and the eye contact - nice.
Some NR on the background and Id be happy :)