PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Sunset

Joe Senzatimore
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Not a big landscpe shooter , but just could not resist a Florida West Coast sunset. This was on the beach off the Sanibel Causway. Florida's west coast is probably one of the best US locations for sunsets.
400 ISO f5.6 at 1/125th

Rene Quenneville
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Niceluy exposed Joe. Great clouds.
In my opinion the foreground trees do not add to the picture, they in fact hide part of the main focal points: the orange clouds. I think that a tighter crop romoving half of the sky and part of the left tree would give a stronger composition.

Roman Kurywczak
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey Joe,
Welcome to the forum!!! I see the bird guys found us! I didn't have a real issue with the tree silhouettes........that's about all you get in Fla.....but it did appear quite dark overall. A combo of curves and a bit on the levels and selective color to the blues (added depth to the reds and yellows)...along with a hair of black to the midtones.....brought out all the subtle shades in the sky and greatly enhanced the silhouette of the trees. The left balances pretty well with the taller right ones. BTW....it does appear to need a bit of CW rotation.
Not to bad for a guy who does mostly birds!

Harold Davis
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
i like the silhouettes and roman's adjustment was just right! nice job!

Paul Marcellini
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I think you balanced the comp nicely, and Roman did a nice job adjusting it. I find the sky a little empty. I would maybe have tried an alternative comp that gave the clouds that really lit up more real estate. Even if possible, backing up and shooting a longer lens. That would compress and even out the proportions of trees and clouds. Keep up the landscapes!

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Not much more to add to the above except to make the case for Florida east coast sunsets and this is looking east http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28649. You should have seen west.