PDA

View Full Version : D3 or D300?

Bob Reimer
01-25-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm in a quandary. I really like the features of the D3, have permission from the boss to get one and they are finally arriving at our local Nikon dealer here in UAE. I shoot mainly macros and telephoto subjects. I'm really not much of a landscape kind of guy so "full frame" really doesn't hold much attraction on its own from that aspect. The ruggedness, speed in ISO, FPS and autofocus are the biggest drivers for me going with the D3 over the D300. My main lenses are the screw-driven autofocus 80-400VR and 70-180 Micro. The D300 has the attraction of using the same batteries as for our other cameras (D200, D80 and D70) along with autofocus points covering the whole frame. I can also get 3 D300s here for the price of one D3. That difference would go a long way to a 500 VR (which I'd get either way, but it spending less on the body also allows for spending the difference in other ways).

Has anyone here shot both cameras? I had a brief exchange with Robert O'Toole when the new models were coming out and he went with the D300 based on weight but I see that he's finding the D300 needs the extra battery pack which negates the weight advantage. Or should I live with my D200 and wait for the next models out of the chute?? I've read Thom Hogan's and Bjorn Rorslett's arguments ... they are interesting but neither seem to be conclusive as to which model would be best in my situation.

What are the opinions of the Nikon users in the group?? Thanks in advance for your considered opinions.

Jim Fenton
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
The D300 only for a couple of days as a test drive, I went with the D300.

I'm primarily a bird shooter who does a fair bit of landscape work as well.

While I love the D3 and it's build (I came from D2Xs bodies), the D300 with the grip isn't exactly shabby.

You are correct relative to weight. With the EN EL3A in the body and the EN EL4A in the grip, these two bodies are for all intents and purposed both the same practical weight to the feel.

What I had worried / thought about from the time that these two camera were announced, was whether or not the 12 MP full frame D3 was going to have enough pixel density / crop-ability for the type of shooting I do and the prints which I make. After shooting it for 2 days, I decided it did not.

That being said, if you don't crop a whole lot, nor print to let's say 16" x20 with regularity using those crops and you can afford it...I would go for the D3.

I did find that the Dx 5 mp crop mode...if not cropped beyond that, did 11" x 14" prints with no issues at all. Trouble was, I found myself having to crop those as well.

When I' shooting small birds many times I'm already at the minimum focus distance allowed by my 500 AFSII, so unless I spent considerably more money and went to the 600 (from my past experience, the previous 600's were not quite as good as the 500's, never mind the money, weight and close focus ability differentials) , the D300 made much more sense. In addition, at many of the areas I shoot, I am constrained by those lovely "though shall not go past this sign" things.

Assuming a higher MP FF D3 follow up comes out with a decent FPS and decent high noise characteristics, I will at that time try this once again.

To me...it all depends on what you're going to do with the images, what you shoot and where you shoot...and of course, how much you can afford.

Robert O'Toole
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Bob,

Well now that I have been using my D300 for a couple of months now I can say that it is a great camera and an absolute bargin for $1800 (+ $ for the battery pack). The AF system is that best that I have used from any brand, it is quick, flexible and has solid tracking. I am very happy with it and Nikon has met and in some cases exceeded my expectations. This under promising and over delivering is unheard of with Camera manufacturers today.

Also the D300 with the optional Nikon MB-D10 Multi-Power Battery Pack you can use AAs, Nikon EN-EL4a Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (the same as the Nikon D2H D2X & D2Xs Digital Cameras) or the Nikon EN-EL3e Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery. With the MB-D10 you can remove the EN-EL3 and use one EN-L4a instead.

For a more information on a D300 Vs D3 comparison you should contact Al and Fabiola Forns, they own both of the cameras and are moderators here at BPN.

Robert

Alfred Forns
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi Bob we have and use both Don't see a difference regarding the AF performance The biggest difference is the clean ISO, brighter viewfinder and fast 14 bit shooting With the D300 the rate slows way down when shooting 14 bit

One big advantage to the D300 for macro is the built in flash You can set it to 1/64(no battery drain) and used it to trigger the macro flash No need to use the Commander

You can't make a bad choice with either camera I prefer the D3 but do use the other for the reach Is like having an extra 1.5X attached Also its convenient for around the shoulder with a flight lens Difficult decision If the savings will buy you more glass I would go for the glass !!!!

Bob Reimer
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the input! After some careful consideration, I will go with the D-300 now. I'll also pick up the R1C1 macro flash kit as I think the extra lighting options will help my macro photography more and that's what I do and enjoy most. When I think carefully about it, I regret not going with Artie's advice to me when I was preparing for the IPT to go with a 200-400 VR and 1.7x converter and getting a 500MM F/4 P instead. It seemed like it was too much of an overlap with my 80-400VR at the time and too costly on top of the cost of the IPT. Will see if I can unload the 500 and see if the update to the 80-400VR comes down the pipe any time soon.

Thanks again for your considered opinions!