PDA

View Full Version : Green Treefrog

Dan Brown
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I found this Green Treefrog in the portable restroom at Viera Wetlands last month. I rescued him/her and placed it on a palm leaf for some shots. PP'ed and slightly cropped in CS3, selectively sharpened with Nik Sharpener Pro.

Camera Model: NIKON D200
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 45
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On,TTL high speed sync
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 105mm

Mike Moats
02-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Dan, he sure looks sad, hope your help saved him and he'll look happier when he recovers. Good details on the head and eyes.

Julie Kenward
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
That is one sullen looking treefrog! I love the detail in the skin...and the colors in his eye are beautiful. I'm guessing your aperture was really 4.5 instead of 45...which would explain why the front and back hands are not in focus. The back hand's not a big deal but it would have added a lot to the image to have that front hand in focus, too.

I'd also check your lightest tones and make sure they aren't blown - that whitish stripe just below his eye seems a bit overly bright.

Still, I like the image. You can almost see his mind ticking away with relief!

Dan Brown
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
That is one sullen looking treefrog! I love the detail in the skin...and the colors in his eye are beautiful. I'm guessing your aperture was really 4.5 instead of 45...which would explain why the front and back hands are not in focus. The back hand's not a big deal but it would have added a lot to the image to have that front hand in focus, too.

I'd also check your lightest tones and make sure they aren't blown - that whitish stripe just below his eye seems a bit overly bright.

Still, I like the image. You can almost see his mind ticking away with relief!
Thanks Julie. Actually, the aperture was f45! The aperture was set at f32, but at the high magnification (1 to 1 I think), the product was an effective aperture of f45. Another product of the high mag. is very shallow DOF, even at f45! I focused on the eye and I think that most of the sharp DOF fell behind the eye.

You are right that the whites in part of the stripe are blown, unfortunately:(.

James Shadle
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Dan,
Well done on both captures:).
The only thing I would add is it looks like you could use a sensor cleaning.
Every little bit of anything shows up at F45!
James

Dan Brown
02-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Dan,
Well done on both captures:).
The only thing I would add is it looks like you could use a sensor cleaning.
Every little bit of anything shows up at F45!
James

WOW, Good eye Mr. Shadle! I totally overlooked those spots. I noticed the spots of the frog but was thinking they were part of the animal!!! Here's a cleaned up version.:p