PDA

View Full Version : Pelican staring back

Roger Dillon
02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
A classic "Who's watching who?" scenario, this Brown Pelican was staring at me staring at him through the lens at Little Estaro Lagoon in Florida at a recent Arthur Morris IPT. Shot at f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 400, Aperature priority +1.33 comp. Canon 1D Mk III, 500mm + 1.4 teleconverter.

John Blumenkamp
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the crop of this one, but the more I look at it the more I like it... the eyes are higher in the frame to not be centered, and it looks like you have great detail. With the crop as is, it's almost like the pelican is looking over a wall or fence, giving you that stare-down. That eye contact is great.

Roger Dillon
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks John. I was shooting with a 500mm and a 1.4 teleconverter and panned around to find this fellow looking at me exactly as you see him. I had a choice to try to get the 1.4 off in time to get a full head shot or go with this. I decided to go for the more "out of the box" shot and took it.

Art Kornienko
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I like it too Roger, it has a very artistic comp to it, colours and lighting are both soft and sharp. Well done.

Roger Dillon
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Peter, it was good to meet you too! I like your suggestions, particularly the eye leveling. I missed that. Also, the contrast and brightness adjustments give the image a little more pop. Thanks!

Ramon M. Casares
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I donīt usually like square crops, but repost is killer IMO! Congratulaitons on a wonderfull and powerfull shot!

Daniel Cadieux
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Good repost by Peter. Those pelicans sure have mesmerizing stares and you show this very well here. Perefct use of exposure compensatuion!! One point I might add is that the focus was locked on the feathers between the eyes and with the shallow DOF the eyes are a tad soft compared to those feathers. A smaller aperture (larger f/number) would have done the trick, but with some more sharpening on the eyes may be able to remedy this after-the-fact.

P.S. It was a pleasure to meet you last week...sure was a blast!!