PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis in Fall

Jason Ambler
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
First post on any forum. :)

I am interested in getting better at all aspects of photography so any and all C & C are welcome. Image info - 5D and 100mm macro, 1/40 sec @ f10 - curves, unsharp mask and a spider web strand cloned out above right eye and antenna.

Jason

Nicole Brooker
01-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Great job for your first post. This guy really blends into his environment well. I really like the pose. I think the focus on the face works well. Maybe the background is a little busy but it's hard to get that balance sometimes.

Mike Moats
01-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Jason, welcome to BPN and great to see you took the first step in posting your images here and looking to learn. For your first post you did a good job keeping the focus where it counts, on the head, eyes, and some parts of its leg. These critters are very tough to shoot as you tend to find them in tight areas with a cluttered background. Always take time to study the background behind the subject and set up to shoot toward the angle that will offer the least distracting background. In this tight quarters, the f/10 you shot at will add a little to much details in the BG, so a lower f-stop number (maybe 3.5 to 5.6 range) will help soften the background. To help bring more of the body into focus try to keep the front of the lens parellel with the subjects body, and that will help with more focus on the body at the lower F-stop range. Also be carefull on bright days as they tend to create hotspots and shadows in the BG. you can carry a diffuser and shade the area to help control harsh light. Good looking critter with some nice color. Keep posting as there are some excellent macro shooters here that will be willing to help you out.

Jason Ambler
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Mike and Nicole,

Thank you for your comments this is exactly what I was hoping to hear, some constructive criticism. I realize after looking at many of the other pictures on this site that I am still a point-and-shoot photographer with some equipment that far surpasses my abilities. I am a hobbyist of 5 years who is interested in moving to the next level and I really have to start looking at the scene and finding the best “photograph” that is possible with my camera instead of just shooting the image as my eye sees it. My technique has improved over the years but I am still learning every day and I hope that BPN will be a big part of this learning through both looking and posting.
<O:p
Thanks again for taking the time to comment and keep the C & C coming,
<O:p</O:p
Jason