PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy the Show

Paul Marcellini
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
So this is way late in editing, shot back in August. One of the craziest combos of cloudage and light-play. The rays are anti-crepuscular, being opposite the sun and streaking down through the clouds. I remember the mosquitoes being horrible and have determined there is a direct relationship between the quality of sky and density of mosquitoes in the air.

This is a 3 shot pano, I originally edited the more standard take with a foreground, but now think maybe the foreground isn't necessary with a sky like this.

20d, 10-22@19mm 3 landscape shots f11 iso200 merged in cs3

Jude Haase
02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Paul...This is a very nice sky & looking at it as posted I don't see a foreground in it(meaning I agree about cropping it off). Even though I haven't seen this one with the foreground added I can see having a foreground could take away from the very dramatic beautiful sky! Great work as usual!

note: I with you on the mosquitoes too.....there's times in the summer here in South Louisiana where I think these guys eat off. ;)

Roger Clark
02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Paul,
Beautiful image. I like the foreground and want more. For example, how much rainbow is there in the reflection? I would add more to the bottom, crop the right edge at about P in Paul in the copyright, and a little off the top. If you have it, is the reflection interesting enough to put the horizon at rule of thirds?

Having said all this, even as is it is a stunning image!

Roger

Julie Kenward
02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I sure hate mosquitos but I think I'd learn to put up with them to get images like this one. I love the crop you chose, Paul...it's definitely the sky that's holding all the magic so why not show it off to it's best perspective?

The only negative I can see in the image is the small highly exposed cloud on the bottom right side near the horizon line. I think I'd probably pull the highlights down in that one spot just so it doesn't pull my eye to it quite so quickly - otherwise...wow...what a beautiful image.

Paul Marcellini
02-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys, Roger, here's the original I edited, single shot. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20500&highlight=iotw+paul+marcellini

The pano doesn't have anymore to it. I have a third horizontal that is essentially the pano plus foreground but it is a single shot.

Thanks Julie, I will tone that down a touch.

susanschermer
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi Paul. I agree with Julie about the bright spot.
I checked out the earlier single image you posted. I really like this one without the foreground, but the rainbow is so much more in evidence in your single image. I can hardly see it in the pano.

Robert Amoruso
02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the extra link Paul. Backs up my comment on a previous post to this to work the scene.

Nice play of shadow and highlight in this image.

Paul Marcellini
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Susan, the rainbow started fading. I have another shot of the double rainbow quite strong but the rays had not started. I did what I could and tried to remain calm. =)

Robert, I always try different comps. Its one of those other moderators that sits at the same place forever. =)

Michael Pancier
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
skies like this are what dreams are made of. great work Paul.

Roger Clark
02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys, Roger, here's the original I edited, single shot. http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20500&highlight=iotw+paul+marcellini

The pano doesn't have anymore to it. I have a third horizontal that is essentially the pano plus foreground but it is a single shot.

Thanks Julie, I will tone that down a touch.

Paul,
OK, I agree the foreground is not as interesting, so good job emphasizing the sky. I would still crop the right where the land gets wider.

Roger

Dave Taylor
02-23-2009, 04:12 AM
This is fantastic. Love the colors & composition, not to mention how you handled a difficult exposure. It has a very peaceful feeling to it. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Robert, I always try different comps. Its one of those other moderators that sits at the same place forever. =)[/quote]

Speaking as that guy......All you had to do from that same spot was turn the camera up and horizontal....never moving a foot......you would have captured the rainbow and clouds.....while still intact! Youth:D!

BTW.....both versions are excellent wall hangers....but I do prefer the original vert.
Maybe I'll get you to read the tortoise and the hare one day;)!

PS Is this a secret location you didn't take me to or were you hiding the clouds?

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Great work Paul, lots of cool things going on, great capture

Gerald_Gilligan
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Paul,
Great image with several elements that one does not usually see come together at the same time, as you said above "I tried to remain calm". I'm glad that you did...
What a profound moment that was before you.
Love it!
Jerry

christopher galeski
03-01-2009, 06:16 AM
I like them both Paul,great pictures,thanks for sharing.