PDA

View Full Version : Lady Merganser

wendell westfall
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
D70s 70-200VR 2X @400mm 1/800 f5.6 ISO400 OEV

She was floating and diving gracefully all alone . . . naming her a common merganser does not do her justice. This image was taken early yesterday morning, and is posted as it came out of the camera, except for NR and sharpening in Lightroom. Do you think I should have done more? If so, what would help?

Wendell

Alfred Forns
02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Just a couple of things Wendell Would recoup the whites on the breast at the time of conversion and work on the eye to make it appear sharper. They all have a goofy looking eye Strong basic image !!!

David Thomasson
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure about the true colors of this species, so my adjustment may be off, but the posted image appears to have a yellow/green cast.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4401/meganser.jpg

When saving for the web, it would be a good idea to save at a higher quality level. If you use "save as" in Photoshop, level 9 or 10 might be better for an image this size. Or if you use "save for web," try 80% or so. The posted image has heavy jpeg compression artifacts. Saving at a higher level will prevent these and will allow you to capture the eye detail that Alfred mentions.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8329/artifacts.jpg

Lance Peters
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Wendell - agree with AL on the techs -- David has done some good work with the colours - agree on saving atthe highest quality you can.

Keep them coming

wendell westfall
02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Your version looks good, David. As for the quality level, I do usually set it higher -- I overlooked it this time -- so I know what you mean. But perhaps you will tell me how exactly one can copy(?)/download(?) posted images and then look at them and correct/change them as you have done in this instance, and as I note you have done for others.

Lance Peters
02-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Wendell - right click on the image and choose - save as :)

wendell westfall
02-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Lance -- Thanks! . . . that was easy.

Gus Cobos
02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Wendell,
A very nice capture...agree with Mr. Forns on the techs. and the color correction on the repost by David...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

David Thomasson
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Your version looks good, David. As for the quality level, I do usually set it higher -- I overlooked it this time -- so I know what you mean. But perhaps you will tell me how exactly one can copy(?)/download(?) posted images and then look at them and correct/change them as you have done in this instance, and as I note you have done for others.

I just right-click and choose "copy image." Then open a new document in Photoshop. It is automatically sized for the copied image. Hit Ctrl-V and it pastes into the new document frame.