PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rare birds in 1 frame @ Shark Valley

Grady Weed
02-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I went to Shark Valley for the first time with my good friend and amigo Craig Carreno last year I believe. We had a great time. We also found 2 rare birds that almost sat in our laps! this American Bittern flew all over the place just across the little ditch about 100 yards past the visitors center on the right side. 2 Purple Gallinules flew across the ditch and landed at our feet, literally, and walked across the side walk and flited from plant to plant for about 20 minutes. The light went south, of course, but we still had fun and almost freaked out. We both made some great images that weekend. I thought of posting this unique image to show newcomers how special the Glades really are. To me there is no place on earth like it!

John Chardine
02-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Sounds like an amazing place Grady. It will definitely be on my itinerary when I finally get to FL with the bird photography gear.

James Shadle
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Grady,
I captured an image like this at Anhinga Trail. They were in the rush along the small canal that runs next to the paved path two years ago.

Anhinga Trail, Shark Valley or Green Cay is the place to see the rarely seen American Bittern.
Sweet capture "two birds with one stone, I mean click"