PDA

View Full Version : Anna's hummingbird hovering at feeder

kklasman
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I captured this image off the deck on my townhouse in Issaquah, WA in May, 2007. I would have liked to have used a polarizing filter to cut the glare on the top of the feeder, but that would have given too slow of a shutter speed. So I reduced it a bit using Photoshop CS3.

Canon 30D, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @400mm
1/250, f/5.6, ISO 800.

Lana Hays
01-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Kevin
I think you did a good job with this one, especially cutting the glare with PS. The composition is good and I love the wing blur. The head/eye of the hummer are sharp and there's enough eye showing to give it life. If you like shooting the hummers, you might put a small attractive branch or flower on top of the feeder for different images.

Alfred Forns
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Amazing image Kevin !!!!! I know the traditional is using the attractive perch but this is very appealing Excellent all around and glad you did away with the filter !!! Big Congrats !!!!

kklasman
01-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Lana,

Thanks for your kind words. We've just moved into a new home in a very natural setting, and I'm planning on creating many interesting wildlife photo opportunities on our property. I'm sure that will include a camoflauged hummingbird feeder, although I do think this is an attractive one, and will undoubtedly shoot it as is as well.

kklasman
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Alfred,

Thanks for your kind words...coming from you that's high praise indeed. One day I hope to get down to Florida and shoot with you, Artie and the whole gang.