PDA

View Full Version : Footwear question.

Mike Dale
02-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I hope to be wading in Little Estero Lagoon in short while and was wondering what people wear on their feet while wading in the water? I have read that it's muddy and so am undecided what to take with me for footwear.

Thanks

Mike

Adams Serra
02-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Mike,
I always wear a pair of crox.

Adams

chad anderson
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
I would wear some "quick" dry style merrell or solomon hiking shoes. They tie on tight and stay put even in the muckiest of lagoons. Be careful for shoes that will come lose if you sink in the mudd. You could also use divers shoes or even just the divers socks. Although, I bet you'd get more use out of the sneakers. If you dont plan on doing much wading in the future, an old pair of running sneakers will always work.

Fabs Forns
02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Al and I use diving shoes.

Jude Haase
02-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Mike,

With about 75% of my landscapes down here in South Louisiana being from waders I usually use an old pair or tennis shoes with good strings so I could tie them tight so that when I stumble into mud holes they stay on. That's in areas where I know there's mud.

In areas where it's sandy bottom I usually use diving shoes.

Note: I use sock waders.

Hope this helps!
Jude

Judd Patterson
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
An old pair of sneakers works great for me. I like the thick sole in case I step on something nasty and my pair dries out fine for reuse as long as I set them out in the sun.

Mike Dale
02-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll take an old pair of nikes along for wading.

Many thanks.

Mike

Gavin Spooner
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I hope to be wading in Little Estero Lagoon in short while and was wondering what people wear on their feet while wading in the water? I have read that it's muddy and so am undecided what to take with me for footwear.

Thanks

Mike

Mike:

Wading in Little Estero lagoon is my home away from home. The 1st time I did it was bare-footed, and never again. I bought a cheap pair ($30) of scuba shoes which are neoprene and slip on with a hard but flexible bottom. They are light, dry easily and very comfortable. They work perfectly.
There are some areas better for wading than others at the lagoon. Some of it is really thick deep mud and a bit risky, but there is a lot of good areas too.

PM me if you need more details.

good luck
gavin

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Mike,

I use BiteŽ Primal Flats Wading Boots, best water shoe I have used to date. Keep feet warm, sole made for walking in and wear, comfortable, drain well and don't let debris in under the foot - my biggest problem with most water shoes and sneakers.

Anything loose can get sucked into the mud. Sorry Adams, but I can't see crocs working in the muck, beach or sand OK. I once sunk in there up to my knees - I think Alfred had to help me that day.

See them at the link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&rid=0180101070502&_requestid=120782&id=0036995830751a&cmCat=perf&mr:referralID=3ecbb98e-0acb-11de-9f5b-000423c27407

Mike Dale
03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Returned from Florida tonight and while downloading Lord knows how many megabytes I thought I would check up and see whats happening. I decided after much deliberation in the end to buy some crocs. I used them effectively on Sunday 1st for my first visit to Little Estero Lagoon. I did a little bit of wading and they seem OK (nothing too deep though). I wore them again on Wednesday 4th and nearly ended up with frostbite. ****! It was cold. I had a jacket on but the cold sand between my tootsies nearly caused me to loose a few toes. I paid another visit this morning but wore my boots! Didn't need to do any wading as most of the action was on the beach. Thanks for all the advice.