PDA

View Full Version : Child's Park Winter Cascade

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
This was taken at Child's Park in PA a week or so ago. Nearly broke my neck getting down to this point.......so I was in no hurry to get back up the trail and worked a billion compositions. I've debated a crop off the bottom on this one......to minimize the RH side a bit. Just below the smaller flow on the left. I like the ice along that edge.......but still feel that a crop would emphasize the flow more......even if the snow/ice have detail. Scroll with the browser to see what I mean. What say you???

Canon Mark 3 with the 17-40mm lens at 19mm for 1.3 seconds at f22 and ISO 100. Tripod and bubble level in hot shoe.
BTW......it was close to a B&W already......very little color(brownish water)......so i just took it the rest of the way.

Dave Mills
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Roman...I like the basic comp you've presented and after looking at the crop you suggested feel that would work also. You've great detail in the whites and I like the look of the water flow. For my taste I would have preferred a bit more room on the left side of the image. I think it would have balanced the image better having more room at the bottom border of the flow. Otherwise, nicely handled!

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey Dave,
I tried...bridge is right out of frame. Next time you'll have to get down there and hold my legs:D......so i can lean out further!

Paul Marcellini
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
nice conversion here Roman. Yeah i kinda like a crop just below the last white in the water. At work so I can't do it. It puts the dominant black shape exiting the frame top and bottom and emphasizes an s-curve more to my eye. Looking at it more I think i like the right side and a crop/ or comp if you took it of the right side to just left of the 2 big sprays of water is pretty nice.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Great shot Roman, looking though the ice the water seems like it is hundreds feet below. Very nice

Robert Amoruso
02-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Roman,

I tried the browser crop and agree that is the way to go. Rich tones and good use of diagonals make for a interesting image. Well done.