PDA

View Full Version : Roe deer

Jasper Doest
02-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I went out this morning looking for Roe deer...

We started out with dense fog, but when the fog slightly disappeared we found some very cooperative animals to work with. I really liked the overcast hazy conditions and went for some environmental photographs as the conditions suited the setting very well IMO. I hope to get back later this week to get some more and to add some frame fillers to my files.

Nikon D3
Nikon AF-S 300/2.8G VR + TC17II
1/125 @ f/8.0
ISO800, RAW
Gitzo tripod

José Rodríguez
02-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Lovely composition. To say something, I would like to see the final branches on the top and the left. Anyway I like that hazy mood. I envy you can have this environment to work with ....

Nate Chappell
02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Great photo Jasper, I'm undecided on whether to include all the branches on the one hand it might improve the comp a little but it would sacrifice detail on the deer which looks very good for being so small in the frame.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Jasper,
Lovely composition. I agree with you that in these conditions it is better to go wide rather than closeups. I would have tried placing the deer a little bit more towards the right. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Really like the mood you captured in this one Jasper and the composition is very lovely as presented with a good balance . Beautiful !!!

Jude Haase
02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with Judy! I think the composition is very well balanced as is.....If I were able to see the whole tree I could see it taking attention away from the subject. Great work Jasper!! :)

Jasper Doest
02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for taking time to look at this image. I believe this is the kind of image that isn't really suppose to pop....as it was hazy and wanted to record the atmosphere, rather than popping roe deer. Regarding the tree, I chose not to include the whole tree, as the top of the tree was facing the sky, which would have brought a very dull extra layer in the photograph.

DanWalters
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Very nice. I really like the inclusion of that ree. Really impacts the image. When I looked at the two images, I agree that the one with less contrast looks more powerful.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Jasper,

I think cropping the tree is the right choice here as it frames the deer better then including the whole tree. Even though the deer is small it holds it own with the tree cropped. W/o the crop I think the deer would get lost.