PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Arch - Canyonlands National Park

Michael Pancier
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM
This area is simply amazing. I decided to try something different at the Mesa Arch from the traditional shots so I used a 15mm Fisheye lens to get the entire arch in the full frame image. I shot low to the ground to keep the sun out of the picture. The result gave me a corona effect around the arch. This was a five image HDR taken from -2 to +2.

EOS 5d Mark II
Canon 15mm Fisheye
f/16
ISO 100

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Michael,
One of my favorite arches......and no photographers to boot!!! As the sun was a bit higher.....they all probably left for dead horse sp.......good for you! The HDR and fisheye were a perfect choice here as well as getting low to avoid the hot spots. The blue of the distant Lasals and lower canyon looks a bit off.....but an easy tweak to a super image! Very nicely done!!!

Dave Mills
02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Very creative Michael! I like the composition. The glow under the arch is very nice and the wispy clouds above it adds to it. Well done with a tricky exposure...

Paul Marcellini
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Nice! A little different from the rest. i love that glow but do see a touch of a halo at least on the top of the arch. I agree the distant mtns. are a touch electric, but fix that and you have a winner.

Michael Pancier
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice! A little different from the rest. i love that glow but do see a touch of a halo at least on the top of the arch. I agree the distant mtns. are a touch electric, but fix that and you have a winner.

I think the halo you're seeing is the rim light from the sun ....

Robert Amoruso
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Michael,

I agree, rim lightening. I have seen this in images I created with HDR and thought it was that only to go back to the originals and see it there too.

The few needed tweaks mentioned, you did really well composing this and offering a different view then the usual.

I like all the FG in the image - good details and in the low mid-tones, subdued.

Michael Pancier
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey Michael,
One of my favorite arches......and no photographers to boot!!! As the sun was a bit higher.....they all probably left for dead horse sp.......good for you! The HDR and fisheye were a perfect choice here as well as getting low to avoid the hot spots. The blue of the distant Lasals and lower canyon looks a bit off.....but an easy tweak to a super image! Very nicely done!!!

Bret had the good idea of shooting dead horse at sunrise and then heading to the arch since the glow would last for some time. It was a great call as the sunrise at dead horse was amazing.

Gerald_Gilligan
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Michael,
Great Image, Light, Mood and Comp.
Make a large print and hang this one up!
Jerry