PDA

View Full Version : Moose

John Blumenkamp
02-21-2009, 08:50 AM
In response to Roman's challenge over in the bird forum, here is a capture from a few years back of my all-time favorite subject to photograph...

10D w/ 70-200 f/4 @ 94mm
1/125 f/5.6 iso200

Thanks,
John

Jasper Doest
02-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow you were close! These fellows are BIG...must have been an awesome experience. I like it, although the crossed front-legs are a bit odd. A lower shooting angle would have emphasized the size of the animal and perhaps it would have been cool if you would have chosen a wider angle (since it was this close) to show some more environment and give more scale to the photograph. Nontheless a very nice image.

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey John,
Since you responded to the challenge.....only fair I add my 2 cents. I like them tight......so for me.....you left just enough environment. Lower may have introduced uninteresting sky.......but if it was foggy???......and I'm not too sure I want to be laying on the ground with a bull moose!!! You got the beard and nice velvet on the racks with excellent position.....so this one is a winner!

BTW Congrats on the NANPA showcase image!

DanWalters
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Very nice. I really like the colors of the surrounding vegetation. I also like the catchlight in the eye.

Nate Chappell
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
My first response was the same as Jasper's, wow you were close, great depth of field showing him close up as well as his environment.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-21-2009, 11:58 PM
John,
Excellent! You were as close as possible. It looks as if you were on touching distance with its nose. I would also have tried a couple of shots slightly wider, say 80 mm to give some more space and the catch the trees. However, I am not sure, as Roman says, about the impact of inclusion of sky in the image. Too wide and it would have perhaps lost its impact as the bull would have been small in the frame. Depth of field is good at this focal length.

I like your Moose images. I think even if you click the images of these guys all the time, you are bound to get something different and interesting.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
02-21-2009, 11:59 PM
John,
Excellent! You were as close as possible. It looks as if you were on touching distance with its nose. I would also have tried a couple of shots slightly wider, say 80 mm to give some more space and the catch the trees. However, I am not sure, as Roman says, about the impact of inclusion of sky in the image. Too wide and it would have perhaps lost its impact as the bull would have been small in the frame. Depth of field is good at this focal length.

I like your Moose images. I think even if you click the images of these guys all the time, you are bound to get something different and interesting.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Maxson
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I like this one a lot, John. The comp looks fine as is, though a wider view would also make a very cool image - just different. In addition to the comments above, I like the even light and all the detail captured in the dark fur.

Steve Canuel
02-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Hey John,
Great subject and I love the lush greenery of the surroundings. Would've also liked to see a wider version with more habitat but no sky for me.

D. Robert Franz
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Love this one .....

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Good work john, the DOF was just right for him.