PDA

View Full Version : Working the Habitat

Maxis Gamez
02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
http://www.********.org/bpn/2009/40D/_MG_5865.jpg
Working the Habitat - S.W Florida

Hello,

This one from this afternoon. I was not able to get close to my subject, so I decided to make the best out of the situation. Enhancing the habitat gave my subject more power. Art Wolfe always says "You subject habitat is just as important as your subject". Taken his advice helped me to envision this scene.

Hope you like it.

Canon 40D, 500mm L @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/1600 sec, RAW, Manual Exposure, Handheld, Slightly Cropped to help composition.

Don Thompson
02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I like the colors, silhouette and the composition.

I think too often all of us, overlook the environmental aspect of our subjects. I think it adds to the photo, not distract.

Ramon M. Casares
02-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Love the mood and comp, great light and color, although IMO I would've cropped from the bottom to give pano format and to remove the bottom vegetation, only a very subjective suggestion :)

Congratuaitons Maxis!

John Blumenkamp
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I like this Maxis, and like the inclusion of all vegetation - I think the three dark elements balance each other. Only thought/suggestion might have been to get more DOF to make the foreground vegetation a little more crisp. Well seen image.

Graham Smith.
02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Beautiful image Maxis,
I'm in the same boat as Don. Too often we ignore the habitat, when it can bring so much more to the power of the photo.

Nate Chappell
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM
A beautiful near silhouette Maxis, the open beak adds a lot. I'm with Ramon in cropping out the bottom to make it a pano.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Love the mood and comp, great light and color, although IMO I would've cropped from the bottom to give pano format and to remove the bottom vegetation, only a very subjective suggestion :)

Congratuaitons Maxis!

I have to say that I don't agree with Ramon, and I am saying this very respectfully since that is his own opinion and his own world but, to me, I think that removing that dark area, even though is not in focus, adds to the image since it gives more DOF to it. Besides it balance the image, just my opinion.

Great image Maxis, love the mood captured by your equipment and of course your composition is impeccable.

Cheers.