PDA

View Full Version : Everglades report

Fabs Forns
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Spent the day at the park, morning in Famingo and afternoon in Anhinga. The Trail is the best we've seen in a few years.
Coming into Flamingo I spotted the first Swallow-tailed kite of the season!!!!!
Echo Pond had a bunch of Spoonies and Stilts mixed in with the locals and one cure Lesser Yellowlegs.
Ospreys and Red Shouldered Hawks finished a great morning.
Later, the water level is at least 2 feet lower than last month. We though that the single perch in the middle of the canal in the back, close to the boardwalk had disappeared, but it had been underwater. Now it sicks a good two feet over it. Bunch of juvenile Night Crowns, the Bittern was giving audience all afternoon and guess what, everyone is roosting at the back again, hundreds of birds flew in with the last light. We had a great time!

Judd Patterson
02-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Fabs, that's awesome to hear! Last weekend I felt that Anhinga Trail was nearing a point where it would really become active...seems like that tipping point has been reached. I'm excited by your Swallow-tailed Kite report as well. I'll have to dig a little bit, but that record seems very early (and super-cool). Thanks for the report!

Fabs Forns
02-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Judd, my first STK picture was dated that same week, at AT, so they were even earlier that year!

It's is awesome :)

Alfred Forns
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
... Also the numbers of Green and Night Herons was impressive !!! Most I've seen in years !!!

We are also getting the roosting birds, last month we had just a few returning !!!

Gus Cobos
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
That means that I have to be there super early to catch the spoonies...:eek::D I missed them last time...:cool: