PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Borealis

Jasper Doest
02-20-2009, 07:35 AM
One of nature's most stunning creations...the Aurora Borealis. I feel a photograph is never good enough to describe the experience of such magic above your head. But as I was leading a workshop on photographing the northern light I thought I'd gave it a try. This was taken using a D300 (as my D3 was in backorder at that time....). I'm already looking forward to next year's workshop, with even more wideangle :)

Nikon D300
Nikon AF-S 14-24/2.8G @ 14mm
20sec @ f/2.8
ISO400, RAW
Gitzo tripod, remote + mirror lock-up

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Jasper,
I am hesitant to say anything that could even be percieved as negative about this image.........because it is so stunning!!! I think you know where I am going with my comment(because of your comment on more of a wideangle).....as I would have preferred a hair more base......but as presented.....this is super.......more base....super duper????(have to think of something) I think this was very well done and I can't wait for your next attempts!!!

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Jasper,

I have to agree with Roman on this. Stunning but with more base at the bottom MORE stunning. Actually I really like the textures on the ground and want to see more.

Is this from the Svalbard workshop? I saw your post this morning for the workshop and it got me thinking. Three persons only. I find it very attractive. I may have some questions coming to you.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I would love to see this sometime, it really does look amazing.

Dave Mills
02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Jasper, I agree with previous posts and would only love to have an opportunity to photograph something this beautiful. Very nice job on this!!

Doug Brown
02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Truly an amazing photo of an equally amazing phenomenon. Agree about more room at the bottom.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
To me your preference for more sky than mountains is perfect since that is your main subject.
I can't wait to see your new compositions with that wide lens. By the way, did I mentioned that I find this image outstanding?

Cheers.

Paul Marcellini
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Great stuff Jasper. With something as simple as that sky, you should try some stitching, maybe a vertical pano. Should be simple enough. Still awesome, would love to see it one day.

José Rodríguez
02-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Superb Jasper. I also should like more base, and would love to explore a vertical view with a 10mm, but don´t missunderstand me, your image and those colours are outstanding!

susanschermer
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Phenomenal is exactly the word for this. I can imagine you chose bottom border very carefully and cut out a not-so-attractive base, so I will not say I wish for more. The subject is the sky, and what a sky. The mountains ground it and let you know you're on Earth and not another planet. WOW

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Superb capture