PDA

View Full Version : Heart Mountain

D. Robert Franz
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
This is Heart Mountain a geological oddity (olderst rocks on top) in the Bighorn Basin of Wyoming and sets right behind my house... Took this 3 shot horizontal stich yesterday morning at -6 degrees

Canon 5D, EF 70-200mmF2.8L, manual exposure

David Steele
01-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Robert, I'm amazed at the lack of response for a lovely image. Panoramic seems to be the short straw of BPN. I like the textures of this image but am not too sure about the shadow on the left or the two bushes bleeding out of the bottom near the RH corner. These are minor points - you were well rewarded for braving the cold.

D. Robert Franz
01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Robert, I'm amazed at the lack of response for a lovely image. Panoramic seems to be the short straw of BPN. I like the textures of this image but am not too sure about the shadow on the left or the two bushes bleeding out of the bottom near the RH corner. These are minor points - you were well rewarded for braving the cold.

The bushes on the bottom were an unfortunate result of not being perfectly level on my pan.. Working in that cold made me sloppy. I would correct that in the full size version for sure. As for the shadow I thought it might lend a bit of texture and depth to the final image???

David Kennedy
01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
The shadow is a little too intensely blue for my taste, FWIW. I think that could be pretty easily corrected with Selective Color. The point about the brush on the bottom edge has already been discussed.

Robert Amoruso
01-27-2008, 06:50 AM
The blue of the shadow dosen't bother me at all. However, I would have preferred not to have it in this image as it draws my eye away from a fine composition. The "V" patch of snow in the FG mimics and points to the peak. As your eye moves from it to the peak you have some very nice textures in view and a pleasing arrangement of shapes in the image. The slice of blue sky is just right. Using sidelighting, the textures are nicely highlighted in the image.

Jason Hahn
01-27-2008, 07:20 AM
I like the comp a lot, the placement of the peak in the frame and the textures throughout. The shadow in the scene does not bother me, I think it works either way, with or without it.

Jason

John Cooper
01-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Robert, I like the the texture and colour in this panorama, but agree with comments above re blue shadow area attracting the eye from main area.