PDA

View Full Version : Are you not going swimming?

Tom Dolezal
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I3958-Edit.jpg

Larger image here (http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I3958a-Edit.jpg)

Technical: Canon 1Ds Mk3, Canon 16-35 Mk2, f/2.8, f/5.6, 1/60, 1/2 EV, ISO 400, AV mode, handheld

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Tom,

Overall I like this image including the blue color cast due to the overcast.

I am wondering that if moving left to get the post and life-preserver completed in front of the snow covered dune would make a strong composition by not having the horizon cutting it?

Diagonal of the shore is a strong leading line.

Paul Marcellini
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the monotone look with the vibrant subject. Like Robert, I'm torn on the intersecting line through it. I'm thinking get closer and make it larger in frame, but get low as well to put most of it in the sky.

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I like the monotone look with the vibrant subject. Like Robert, I'm torn on the intersecting line through it. I'm thinking get closer and make it larger in frame, but get low as well to put most of it in the sky.

I was thinking of sky too and did not mention that. Good call and I agree another option Paul.

Tom Dolezal
02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Thank you Robert and Paul on your comments - much appreciated.

Interesting thoughts on composition.

From my perspective I was composing the scene to use the life belt as a fg focal point and to lead your eye to the bleakness of the sea which is the subject of the image.

To go a lower perspective would emphasis the sky and going more left would bring the dune more into the frame. In both cases this, imho, would detract from that sea.

Maybe its just a case of different eyes seeing different pictures in this image.

Tom

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Tom,
I read your reply with great interest as I find it very interesting on how we all interpret a scene but one of your statements puzzles me. You state;
....."From my perspective I was composing the scene to use the life belt as a fg focal point...." I think the life belt does act as a very nice focal point and is well placed in the scene.

....."and to lead your eye to the bleakness of the sea which is the subject of the image." This is where you lost me ....as the sea.....which you consider the subject of the image is about 10% of the overall composition while the sky is around 60%. If this was presented as a pano.......with about 1/2 of the sky removed.......then the sea becomes more prominant to me the viewer. This also makes the life belt even a more anchoring FG element and as you yourself state..." the focal point". By minimizing the main component (the sky) of the image......it emphasizes the sea more and balances nicely with the life vest.

"Maybe its just a case of different eyes seeing different pictures in this image."
I agree here also.... and invite you to give your perspective more often on some of the other images from members and contributors.

Dave Mills
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Roman, your statements on composition are right on. The sea is actually a minor part of the image and your eye would not be drawn to it unless you reduced the sky...
When Paul suggested to get lower he was showing a way where the life preserv would not merge with the backround. Even if it caused more sky you could simply crop it out

Tom Dolezal
02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Tom,
I read your reply with great interest as I find it very interesting on how we all interpret a scene but one of your statements puzzles me. You state;
....."From my perspective I was composing the scene to use the life belt as a fg focal point...." I think the life belt does act as a very nice focal point and is well placed in the scene.

....."and to lead your eye to the bleakness of the sea which is the subject of the image." This is where you lost me ....as the sea.....which you consider the subject of the image is about 10% of the overall composition while the sky is around 60%. If this was presented as a pano.......with about 1/2 of the sky removed.......then the sea becomes more prominant to me the viewer. This also makes the life belt even a more anchoring FG element and as you yourself state..." the focal point". By minimizing the main component (the sky) of the image......it emphasizes the sea more and balances nicely with the life vest.

"Maybe its just a case of different eyes seeing different pictures in this image."
I agree here also.... and invite you to give your perspective more often on some of the other images from members and contributors.

Thank you for your comments Roman.

Where possible, I try to reference the image subject within the title of the image as in this case 'Are you not going swimming?' is more suggestive of the sea than the sky.

From my perspective I consider the sky here to be quite bland and featureless but it does provide a backdrop to emphasise the coldness of the location.

Is this edit more along the lines of your suggestion:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I3958-Edit-2.jpg

Thank you for your invitation - will do.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
02-21-2009, 12:33 PM
When Paul suggested to get lower he was showing a way where the life preserv would not merge with the backround. Even if it caused more sky you could simply crop it out

Thank you for your comment Dave.

I was already at ground level for that shot. If I had been at that level and much closer to the life belt it would have been more into the sky but then the majority of the fg snow would have been lost and therefore the cold look of the image would be diluted.

Tom

Dave Mills
02-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Tom,I think the pano crop is a big improvement.... I can understand your point by the way you title an image you want to steer the viewer into your concept . That might sometimes work in competitions where you want to subtly tell the judge what to look for but an image that goes to the general public should stand on it's own without the title steering them. My opinion...

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi Tom,
Nice job on the re-post. You've got to admit.......the sea now matches the title.....as it gained quite a bit in prominance from the simple crop and I don't feel you lost any of the coldness. it also makes me think about the vest more as it contrasts with the sea.

Tom Dolezal
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Apologies Dave and Roman missed your replies here - let's say I am warming to this crop.