PDA

View Full Version : Bowing to the sun

Steve Maxson
02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Continuing with my beach theme: This Atlantic Giant Cockle has been stranded at low tide at sunrise on Sanibel Island and sort of looks like it's bowing to the sun god (or something :) ). My alternate title was "Letting it all hang out." 20D, 90mm tilt/shift tilted to maximize DOF, 1/30, f/16, ISO 100. Full frame. I removed a few small bits of beach debris in PS. Comments are welcome.

Dave Mills
02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Steve, Ithink you have a very strong image. First off the light is beautiful and I like the placement of the cockle in the image. The diagonal shadows also gives it alot of interest. Small nit I would get rid of the little hole in the foreground sand.(very small nit)

Ed Vatza
02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Excellent composition here, Steve. And it is executed beautifully. I just wish for ever so slightly more exposure, brightness, light, whatever you want to call it. It just seems like the shadows dominate just a tad too much. Otherwise, perfect.

Julie Kenward
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm a big fan of this series...I can only see two things about this one image that I find the tiniest bit distracting and that is the hole in the sand that Dave mentioned and the other would be the one shadow in the LRC that is running parallel to all the others.

I have to tell you, Dave, I see these images and I really feel like I'm at the beach - like I could reach right down and pick the creature up. I think that is one of the best things about photography - a great image can transport the mind of the viewer and you certainly have done that for me.

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey Steve,
Light doesn't get much sweeter than this!!!....Great angle and very unusual/interesting subject. Agree with Jules and Dave......so crop it out! Try it by scrolling.....until you crop off the hole on the bottom (gets rid of the odd angle shadow too) This further strenghtens the ciagonal comp. As a landscape guy......I love the shadow play (sorry Ed).......so this is a keeper for sure. Very nicely done!!!

Mike Moats
02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Hey Steve, another very nice image from this series, the suggestions already mentioned are an easy fix.