PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Day Nursing Cub

Howard Burkert
02-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Image was created in Katmai NP, late Sept. on a rainy morning. Nikon D2H, 200-400mm Nikon lens. AWB, A priority, f 5.6 @ 1/200 sec. Raw conversion with Nikon NX2.

The rain was a light drizzle, and just shortly after daybreak I saw the mother and her nursing cub. This was my first encounter of such a sight. The rain made the saturated colors. I love the look on the mothers face, such a beautiful bear.

Fabs Forns
02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Very nice image, Howard, with great interaction, and as you point out, nice saturaded colors. I wonder how it wold have looked if you had pointed the camera more to the right.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Howard,
You got a tender moment. It is different from a bear just looking left or a bear looking right. The left side looks like some kind of path. I would have liked a bit more space at the right. I would love to see some more compositions of this tender moment. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Howard Burkert
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your comments. To the right of the image, just out of view is a NP information sign. My thinking was to have the moms eye on the top right impact point?
Best,
Howard

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Howard,

Overall well done. I like that grass especially. I hear you on the sign and I know that moving your camera position right may not have worked or been possible, but it may have gotten the bear's leg in the frame, gotten the grass right behind her and not shown the sign.

Steve Canuel
02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Nice pose, moment, grassy BG, and light. Would've liked that leg.

D. Robert Franz
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Love the light and the detail in this image. Great interaction. Wish you would have had a bit more room on the right side of the frame...