PDA

View Full Version : Arches Panorama

Michael Pancier
02-19-2009, 07:47 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3292047911_e48fb38532_o.jpg

Taken during yesterday's sunset. Made it to the spot just in time.

5d Mark II
24-105L at 105mm
f/22
1/8
Manual Mode
ISO 100
stitched in PS CS 4.

Roger Clark
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Michael,
Nice image. To me it looks like it could be lightened a bit. If you go to that area again, there is a dirt road that goes perpendicular from the main road at balanced rock. If you go down there about a hundred yards or so, then walk out to the east from the dirt road you can get some nice foreground subjects in your images. Also, balanced rock would be better separated from the rocks in the background. That spot can be nice at sunrise too.

If you do sunset at delicate arch, go early. You need to get there real early to get a good spot. Perhaps that is not so much an issue in February, but it is by March. Same with other popular spots, like Mesa Arch for sunrise: get there real early.

Have fun (wish I was there).

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Michael,
Roger brings up some very good points and his location recommendation is right on! Hope you check it out. A bit earlier.....to avoid the heavy shadows of the ridge......helps a lot also. Looking forward to more too!

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Michael,

I will add the compositionally, you did this well. The right amount of crop top and bottom to include enough FG so the rocks look anchored and sky so as not the cramp up the tallest tower.

You ended the left and right sides at good locations w/o any distracting edge elements.

Paul Marcellini
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I really like the comp and of course the light. I know those bright reds are hard to tame/expose but it does seem a tad dark. So is this like 100 megapixels? =)

Michael Pancier
02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I really like the comp and of course the light. I know those bright reds are hard to tame/expose but it does seem a tad dark. So is this like 100 megapixels? =)

it's pretty big but nothing like the file when I stitch the pano of north and south windows ....

Jasper Doest
02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Although I do find the shadows a bit too dominant in this photograph, it is a stunny scenery and you did very well getting his into panaramic perspective. Lovely.