PDA

View Full Version : Point Betsie

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I went out for a fast shoot as a blizzard is supposed to be coming in tonight and thought I would get waves coming over the wall. I took many different angles and this is the first so there will be more as my mistakes are pointed out which I appreciate. Canon 1D Mk2, Canon 17-40 , f/20@1/8, -1 EV, ISO 100, AV mode, tripod with rrs-55 head

Fabs Forns
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Lovely portrait with balanced composition, and it has a magenta color cast especailly noticeable in the snow.

Dave Mills
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi Dennis
It seemed like the image had a pink caste to it and I took out the caste. I also cropped it some to minimize the blank sky a bit and make the large clump of grass more dominant. I would have preferred an angle on the lighthouse with the grasses in the foreground but not merging with the lighthouse. You definately have some interesting subject matter to work with...

Roman Kurywczak
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey Curly,
Dave did a nice job removing the color cast and I like minimizing the sky also. I struggle with the larger bush on the right. for me a crop....att he center of the right window with a bit of clean up on a few stray twigs.........and then the bit off the top....makes the lighthouse a lot more prominant and it also makes the larger FG grass balance nicely.
What???? You don't want to be there with breakers???:D I'd bet it would look cool!
Nicely done with just a few more minor tweaks!

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Dennis,

Correct the color cast and crop from right as Roman suggests. I also suggest a crop from the left to get rid of the tree poking branches into the scene. Besides the structure, your other strong compositional element is the three slender trees to the left of the structure, w/o them this scene would not be as good. By cropping to minimize lessor elements on the left and right, you accentuate the trees and structure and your got a winner.

I like the diagonal of sand leading to the structure and the grass in the FG is full of pleasing details w/o overwhelming the image. Nice work.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all your help it is really appreciated. I worked with all of your suggestions and what a difference. Thanks again as I need lots of help.

Hey Roman the breakers were in the plan but the wind had not switched to the northwest yet when I was there so the big wave action had not started. It came in about 7pm and we did get 10 inches 0f snow last night with 30 mph winds which made for a long day driving

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Dennis,
Nice job with the re-post. As you see for yourself the impact now.

I'd figured you guys would be used to driving in the snow in Michigan! 1 inch in Jersey & they drive like garbage!