PDA

View Full Version : any feedback on Sigma 300-800

Rene Quenneville
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I do not see much review on the Sigma APO 300-800 F5.6 EX DG HSM. This lens has been around for a few years and displays an impressive zoom range, and a minimum focusing distance of about 20 feet. Any feedback on this lens? Is it a good buy?

Roman Kurywczak
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey Rene,
You won't find any reviews in the magazines.........because the lens was too big for their testing equipment. I have had the lens for around 4 years now. My model has the DG designation (digital) and is the "newer" version. 90% of my wildlife/bird images were done with that lens. You can check out some of them by going to my profile......and see all threads started by me.
First let me say.......I am not sponsored by Sigma. I tested it myself against a 600mm Canon prime. It was a hair slower in aquiring AF (did you expect it to beat a prime???)........but the zoom capability more than made up for it. Only real issue for me was the IS.......and since I wasn't going to hand hold either lens (that was B4 I saw Doug doing it!)......I decided the trade-off was worth it for the extra range and flexibility. Lastly, I judge a lens on image sharpness.........considering some of the images you see have been in some pretty major publication.......you get the point! All I can say is love it, love it, love it!!! At this point i wouldn't trade it for the Canon 600.....I love the versatility too much.

John Blumenkamp
02-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Good to hear your viewpoints on this lens Roman... I guess the thing I've always wondered about something with this much range is if you see the performance vary depending on the focal length, primarily, is the sharpness consistent whether you are at 300mm, 800mm or anywhere in-between? Also, does focus speed vary depending on focal length? Thanks.

Jasper Doest
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I had the chance to use one from a good friend of mine....as soon as I looked through it I changed back to my Nikon prime lenses. The color was yellowish and contrast-wise I didn't really like it. Not saying that it is a bad piece of glass...but quality wise it is less good than what I'm used to see from Nikon's prime telephoto lenses.

Roman Kurywczak
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll address Jasper first as he brings up a very good point.........I never had a big prime lens.......so when I tested it, I did so with a friend.....who owned the 600mm....he was the one who assessed it as slightly slower and also "warmer" than his 600. I couldn't tell the difference in speed either way......but did see a warmer tone (which I like BTW......VS film shooter)........but for $3000 less (US)...than a Nikon prime 600......(are they actually available to the general public?)......I wouldn't hesitate.......but I am a Canon shoooter.....so the difference wasn't that big. (BTW....the friend who recommended the lens was a Nikon shooter who owned one)
John.........any length or f-stop hasn't been an issue. I do find I like the results best at f6.3 to 7.1........how much of that is me and my techniques???..........don't know???.....but one of the images in NANPA's top 100 (mating tree swallows).......was with that lens and the 1.4 (Canon) tele......no autofucus BTW.
True story.....had the lens 4 months.......in Yellowstone as the first light is hitting the field along the Madison........6 guys next to me with the prime (both manufacturers).....600's........light starts to break on a bull elk.........I'm at 800mm...he's PO'd at the world and starts running at us as the light just covers him......I have the June NWF image of the week because of the zoom.........they have cut / clipped body parts.......I'm willing to sacrifice the bit of color cast and speed (BTW...at the time I was still VS film)......for the versatility...are you??? Everything is a compromise.......are you willing to make it???

Lance Peters
02-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Rene - I also have this lens and find it to be awesome, it is so versatile. I don't think you can compare it to a Canon or Nikon as they do not have a equivalent zoom - think it is unfair to compare it to a prime.

Also there is the price difference - in my view this lens is a bargain.

Only downside I have - is it is big and it is heavy.

PS. The image that is my avatar was taken with that lens.

Alfred Forns
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I had a chance to use one at Bosque a few years ago The versatility was great as Roman points out and my only complaint was the slower AF. Wasn't even close to my 500 or 600 Canon ...... but when you have to use a tele converter both prime lenses fall behind.

Personally I would take the chance in missing the image but would go for maximum quality. btw the images from the Sigma were similar (quality) to the primes but ..... similar is different and different is not the same !!!!