PDA

View Full Version : Black skimmer locations?

allanrube
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Can someone tell me where black skimmers could be located in the Ft. Desoto to Ft. Myers area. I will be around for another 2 weeks before heading home and that is one bird I have not seen (Been staying in Tierra Verde.)

Judd Patterson
02-19-2009, 07:38 AM
At Fort DeSoto, they can sometimes be spotted flying around the south end of North Beach or over the tidal lagoon...but I don't see them on every trip.

In the Fort Myers area, I've seen them on every visit to Bunche Beach. Just take Summerlin Rd. west toward Sanibel and turn left onto John Morris Rd. Follow it to the end and park...just be sure to stop your vehicle before you get to the deep sand unless you are very confident in its abilities. Sometimes I've seen some big vehicles get stuck! Walk up the beach in both directions and you'll probably come to a group of birds resting.

Good luck!

Ed Grella
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
At sunset last night, I saw at least 75 skimmers in 3 flocks on the beach at bowditch point park in Ft Myers Beach. They would do mass take off's and landings as kid's freightend them. Of course, I was out with my family with no camera!!!
Good Luck!
Ed

allanrube
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for that information. I hope to see some.

Rocky Sharwell
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I regularly see large groups on the Dunedin Causeway leading to Honeymoon Island State Park--over by the kayak/sailboard rental concession.

allanrube
02-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Rocky.