PDA

View Full Version : Courting Sandhill Cranes

John Lowin
02-18-2009, 01:01 AM
This image was created in my backyard, at the edge of our pond on a very overcast day, thus the gray water background. The dancing and calling was pretty vigorous. I initially wished that the male's beak was sharp. but now I feel it depicts the rapid head motion he demonstrated. What do you think, would it have been better motionless? Critique and comment sought, I'm here to learn.

f/8 1/250 ISO 800
Canon 1d Mk II
Canon 500mm f/4
Gitzo 1325 CF Tripod
Wimberley Head

Fabs Forns
02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
What a beautiful setting for the cranes!
Motionless would have been another image, not necessarily better or worse.
I like the motion here, coupled by the intense eye contact.
If you know how, lighten the eye to make it stand out (easy way: select with elliptical marque tool and lighten in levels)

Steve Maxson
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Nicely done with the overcast light, John. I don't mind the motion here as it demonstrates the head movements involved with their calls. I'm wondering if the calling bird isn't actually the female. Although this bird is closer to the camera, it looks a little smaller and thinner that the other crane.

John Lowin
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Fabs,

I would have previously lightened the eye with the dodge tool, but did it as you suggested. Thanks. - John

Dave Phillips
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
looks good John......once you lighten, be it via levels or dodge....be sure to go back and darken the pupil a bit

that is a beautiful setting

Linda Robbins
02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I like your framing here, and the setting is very pretty for this amorous pair. The beak blur is just a matter of taste. I would prefer the beak and foot sharp, but it works both ways. I believe that the calling bird is the female also. Nice capture.