PDA

View Full Version : White-bellied Sea Eagle

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Last August a mate took me to a private property in the Hawkesbury where he set his hide up four days earlier to get some shots of the Sea Eagles as they return to their favorite perch tree overlooking this big lagoon.

We waited for nearly five hours crammed in there and about half an hour prior to this adult’s arrival a gale force wind blew up from the west, blowing in the clouds and making conditions miserable, almost blowing the hide over. This adult perched for about 10 minutes, not in a good spot or position, then took off and flew behind us and I could just shoot a series of images from inside the hide of it gliding past into the headwind as the hide was being blown about incredibly hard by the wind. For hours of patience, I had no more than 20-30 seconds maximum to capture some images under rather difficult conditions.
<O:p</O:p
30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/250th, handheld, overexposed by 1 2/3 stops, 70% of original. I blackened the pupil a touch.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3341/3271101021_b07b39f959_o.jpg

Fabs Forns
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
You needed half a second before to get him more coming towards you. As presented, he's past your prime. Love the head turn and exposure. There's a faint sharpening halo on the underside of the bird. Keep them coming!

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for taking your time to comment Fabs. :) I agree about the positioning. It happened so fast and my mate was in the way. I would have felt rude if I knocked him off his seat to get a better position and timing. Maybe I should have. LOL!

Fabs Forns
02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
You know what to do when something is on the way ;)

Push him!!! LOL

Axel Hildebrandt
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I like the exposure control and details and agree with Fabs regarding 'pushing your friend aside'. :)

Rob Drummond
02-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Nice one Akos. It certainly conveys the broad-winged nature of the bird.

cheers Rob