PDA

View Full Version : First Call...

David Roach
02-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Created just before sunrise a while back at Wako. As I was setting up for the GBH nests just before sunrise, this "trash" bird flew up and began the first morning calls. While these boat tailed grackles (male) look black to a casual observer, it always amazes me the hues you can get in the right light. This beauty was lit by the predawn glow of the eastern sky. As always comments and learnings welcome!
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 800 F4@1/125

Steve Maxson
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Very cool (so to speak) colors, David. I also like the action pose, the good head angle, and the clean background. The eye looks a bit glassy to me. It might help if you selectively darkened the pupil.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Cool pose, open beak and composition. It looks a bit washed-out, maybe some more contrast and I would sharpen the eye and head more.

David Roach
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks, as always for the comments. I believe I tried to get too much detail in the blacks during the curves adjustment (thus the lack of contrast). Also added just a bit more sharpening. Repost with suggested changes.

Mark Schmitt
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
The plumage and bill have taken on a "plastic" texture; i.e. too smooth. Did you use any noise reduction before or after sharpening?

David Roach
02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Mark, I believe that is the very shallow DOF as I was wide open (and close) to keep the shutter speed up in the predawn light. The light was coming from behind me and to my left as the sun was about to achieve the horizon. The sheen is from that reflection angle and the fact I exposed all the way to the right (+1 with evaluative metering, checked histogram). Also, the extra sharpening accentuates the effect.