PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Serengeti Sunrise

Roger Clark
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Foggy Serengeti Sunrise

A beautiful morning, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. I love these mornings. The fog is best after a night of rain.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 mm f/4 L IS lens at 111 mm, f/6.3, 1/1250 second, ISO 400, meter -2 stops, hand held. Full image, no crop. I should have dropped to ISO 100, but I was photographing in much lower light just before this image and forgot to change the ISO. But it still came out nice. Those 21 megapixels are great.

Roger

David Thomasson
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
This is really a stunning picture. The only thing I'm inclined to think about concerning post-processing is the puddles. They attracted my eye and lead me to puzzle over them for just a moment before I recognized them as puddles. Probably I would take them out and see if the image lost or gained as a result.

Roger Clark
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
This is really a stunning picture. The only thing I'm inclined to think about concerning post-processing is the puddles. They attracted my eye and lead me to puzzle over them for just a moment before I recognized them as puddles. Probably I would take them out and see if the image lost or gained as a result.

Thanks, David.
In general, I do not remove elements from my images, except by cropping. Of course a small web image does not show the fine details that a higher resolution image shows, so I see your point. The puddles look great in my opinion on a large image on my 30-inch monitor.

Roger

Christopher Miller
02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Beautiful photo! Love the colors and the silhouetted tree. The fog adds a nice dimension. I'm divided over the puddles. They do seem a bit distracting, but I also feel they help portray the scene because they show you that it was raining. So I think whether or not to remove them is a matter of your own personal opinion.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Beautiful image, colours, and composition Roger. Like it as presented. Think it would make a stunning print.

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice work Roger for all the reasons mentioned.

Roman Kurywczak
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey Roger,
Very dramatic light here. I would probably go with a slight tone down of the puddles personally.....but either way very nicely composed with nice balance between the tree and the road. Great mood with the fog too!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Great shot, could you fly me over there so I could get a first hand view.

Harold Davis
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
roger, that's insanely beautiful. being a country boy, i knew those were puddles and they dont bother me a bit. love the framing and wish i were there.

Ed Cordes
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
I like it as presented. However if it were mine I would make the puddles disappear.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Roger,
I love this image. I have grown up in small towns in India and have played many a times in these puddles. I love them. It also leads your eye into the image. Initially, I thought you had placed those puddles by photoshop magic. :-) I didn't knew that you don't mess around with images. I too have the same philosophy about image alterations. I am sure, these puddles would look great in a 24" x 36" print.

I believe the high ISO of 5DII is good and ISO 400 is nothing to worry about. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Paul Marcellini
02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I like the puddles, adds just a little more detail. The image feels a little left heavy but nothing to worry too much about with that kind of atmosphere. Very nice.

Jude Haase
02-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Very nice Roger!! Love the color tones and composition!