PDA

View Full Version : Want to keep EXIF data

Bob Lund
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Vista 64bit / D3 / CS3

Where in the normal post processing process does the EXIF data get stripped from the image? I'd like to retain it - Thanks for your help

David Kennedy
01-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Bob,
Could you be a little more specific about your workflow? The EXIF data is not normally removed from an image, but it does happen with certain operations. For instance, "Save for Web" from Photoshop seems to consistently remove all EXIF data. Lightroom has an option to "minimize" EXIF data upon export, but it is user selectable and not a default. However, most operations retain all EXIF, IPTC, and keywording metadata.
For instance, one of my recent postings in landscapes (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2838) still has all of its data (you can download the image and see for yourself), and it was exported from Microsoft Expression Media (formerly iView Media Pro). It was originally worked up in Lightroom before that.
If you elaborate upon the problem you're experiencing--and when--I'm sure we can help you.

Jim Poor
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
CS3 "Save for Web" has an option to preserve the EXIF data into the JPG (not into an XMP file). A lot of programs don't seem to be able to read it yet though.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
You can use "save as" in Photoshop. This way you will keep the EXIF info.