PDA

View Full Version : Snowdonian cloud reflections

Tom Dolezal
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_V2C0601.jpg

Technical: Canon 1D Mk3, Canon 16-35 Mk2, f/16, 1/320, -2/3 EV, ISO 400, AV mode, handheld

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Tom,

The lake makes a good leading line that is also diagonal. I like the interplay of light and dark, though you know I am going to say it, would like a bit more detail in the shadows. :)

However, I am AOK with how you presented it. Clouds also provide a diagonal line to the distance valley helping to lead the eye into the image. The composition is well thought out. Nice work.

Paul Marcellini
02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's a 3 minute edit to show what can be done. Cropped to straighten it to my eye. Shadow/highlight around 20/30/30 for shadows. Brightness/contrast masking out the sky.

Tom Dolezal
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Tom,

The lake makes a good leading line that is also diagonal. I like the interplay of light and dark, though you know I am going to say it, would like a bit more detail in the shadows. :)

However, I am AOK with how you presented it. Clouds also provide a diagonal line to the distance valley helping to lead the eye into the image. The composition is well thought out. Nice work.

Thanks Robert for your comments - very much appreciated.

I wondered if you would comment on the shadow detail. I was very much trying to keep to the actual colours and shadows on the day.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Here's a 3 minute edit to show what can be done. Cropped to straighten it to my eye. Shadow/highlight around 20/30/30 for shadows. Brightness/contrast masking out the sky.

Thank you Paul for your edit - much appreciated.

As I have just replied to Robert, I was looking to keep to the actual colours on the day and whilst your edit is a very good example of what could be done, it does very much portray a much brighter scene than it actually was.

Tom

Dave Mills
02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Paul, I think your repost is a big improvement to the image. There is still a contrast of highlight and shadow but the image has more interest since you can now see detail in the shadows.

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Robert for your comments - very much appreciated.

I wondered if you would comment on the shadow detail. I was very much trying to keep to the actual colours and shadows on the day.

Tom

Tom,

Basically I was talking about a reinterpretation like Paul M. presented.