PDA

View Full Version : Valentine Rose

Jared Gricoskie
02-16-2009, 01:09 AM
It was a snowy miserable valentines day and my boss bought the ladies in the office some Roses, so I went to the office on Saturday to do something fun at work for a change.

I know its been done before but the patterns of each flower is what draws me. With a dozen different flowers, no two were even close to being the same. This one was an orange rose.

D300, Sigma 150 f2.8 @ f4.5 1/5th, fill flashed diffused, and a silver diffuser disc to help with the indoor lighting/natural lighting issues

Ed Vatza
02-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Good Morning Jared,

Nice subject. Not surprisingly I guess, I love rose images.

I think what you have here looks good. The detail is fine particularly given you shot at f/4.5 and the color looks ok if maybe underexposed a bit (although I do like the shadowing). This looks like a different type of orange rose than the ones I shoot. Mine are orange and yellow bi-colors; yours looks to be solid orange so the actual color in yours may be on the duller side while mine tend toward the very bright side.

Also I'm not sure about the bullseye centering of the rose. It is one of those things that, I think, works some times and other times, it doesn't. As I look at this image, I keep feeling it should be off-center a bit. See what others say on that.

Overall, nice job. I look forward to seeing others that you made that day.

Ramon M. Casares
02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Love it, very nice image with terrific light, detail and comp. Congratulations!

Julie Kenward
02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Jared, it's a beautiful image - I do agree that it might be just a bit underexposed but it does bring out the shadows quite a bit. I don't mind that the center of the rose is at the center of the image but...if you had twisted the rose about a quarter turn to the right, you would have had the main petals on a diagonal with the two corners of the frame (upper left & lower right) and that might have made the image even stronger compositionally.

Stuart Frohm
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I love it. Thanks for posting it.

Mike Moats
02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Jared, I like the dramatic lighting and it has a nice soft look and great color.

Gordon Craig
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
I normally dont like seeing a picture of a flowere cut off this is a wonderful picture.