PDA

View Full Version : boat at sunset

allanrube
02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I think this may be my first upload to this forum. 98% of my shooting is of birds and I post there.

I took some shots where we are staying this month in Florida. Here is a sunset I like. I think the colors and composition work - but tell me your thoughts.

I also would like opinions as to whether I should leave lights as they are or clone them out.

Any other thoughts are appreciated too. Too dark?

I can re-crop to add a bit more on the bottom but not the top.

http://allanrube.smugmug.com/photos/474129946_tSSeM-X3.jpg

Grady Weed
02-16-2009, 03:23 AM
I like the boat on the right. The left one intersecting with the land strip is always distracting to me. You did get some nice colors. The lights do not bother me. It was nice to meet you at Fort DeSoto with the spoonie.

allanrube
02-16-2009, 08:06 AM
That is true what you said about the left boat.

The spoonie is gone now.

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Allan,
colors are nice and I agree with Grady on the boat merge with the horizon. You can get a little water seperation in there with a careful patch and I am also OK with the lights...for me they add a bit of interest to that distant shoreline. I may crop 1/2 the room above the mast and equally off the left......this further emphasizes the interplay between the 2 boats. Still...all in all...nicely done.

allanrube
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I think I am stuck with that no separation as the horizon would then look two uneven.

Rene Quenneville
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Very nice sunset. Well balanced in tones and composition. I like the small amount of sidelight on the left boat. I support Roman's crop.

allanrube
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I changed the crop as suggested and worked on attempting a realistic separation. What do you think?

http://allanrube.smugmug.com/photos/474873529_c3mJf-X3.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Allan,
Here's what I was thinking......I blew up the image to 600%....to work above the boat......I used a darker area to repair it......I also left a bit more room on the left.....as the curve of the far shore leads me into the image. Let me know your thoughts.

allanrube
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Roman,

You did a better job than I did on the separation.

I worked my crop to get roughly equal distance between each boat and the border. Yours looks good too. I do like more off the top like you did.

I will go back to work on the separation and then play with the crop.

Thanks.

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Allan,

Nice going on this scenic and with Roman's help, you have tweaked it nicely.