PDA

View Full Version : Montagu's Harrier

Chris van Rooyen
02-15-2009, 05:44 AM
I created this image a few years back in the Kgalagadi Transfrontrier Parks. Harriers are not common birds in South Africa, and to see a young male Montagu's (a Palearctic migrant to our region) in the Kgalagadi semi-desert was even more exceptional. This guy arrived from nowhere just as I was approaching a puddle of water in the road (it had rained heavily the previous night), and setlled for a drink. Fortunately the car did not frighten it, and I got several frames as he took off. I like this one most although some guys might prefer a better body angle.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Date/Time: 2005:03:14 09:16:33
Shutter speed: 1/5000 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 500mm
Focal length: 500mm

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Beautiful timing and flight pose Chris . The eye contact and detail is outstanding and the BG is awesome. Another superb image. Congratulations !

Simon Bennett
02-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Magnificent pose and detail.

susanschermer
02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for letting me see this beautiful image. Raptors are my favorites. The BG is soft and the image is sharp and graphic. Eye contact and feet down are a plus.

John Chardine
02-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Love the simplicity of this image Chris. It is beautifully sharp and the lighting and colours are really nice.

Lorant Voros
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I can only say the same as the others. Very nice image...one more great one from you. Spot on sharpness, great light, fantastic pose.

Melvin Grey
02-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Nothing wrong with this body angle, as far as I am concerned Chris - and that head and eye are incredible. A great opportunity, and you have made the most of it. This is a beautiful image with lovely sympathetic colours and superb sharpness and quality - as usual!
Melvin

Ramon M. Casares
02-15-2009, 03:29 PM
OUTSTANDING, light, pose, BF, detail, colors, all es superb, but, to be honest, I am not crazy about the square crop.
Congratulaitons!

Tony Whitehead
02-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Superb light and plumage detail, Chris. Great eye contact and I like the colour accents from the cere, eye and legs. Interested to see the -1/3 EC rather than your usual +1/3

Rob Drummond
02-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Great catch Chris, nice eye contact and sharpness. We only saw females in our two years in Zim and this male looks very impressive.

cheers Rob

Chris van Rooyen
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Tony, yes I use to shoot -1/3 with the MKII. I think it was a leftover from film days and my ignorance of the way that a digital sensor works. I am now enlightened;) and I habitually use +1/3 to make full use of the sensor's bias towards the light tones and to make sure I do not have to tweak the darks tones later.