PDA

View Full Version : Which Is A Better Image?

Arthur Morris
02-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Both of these were created with the Canon EOS-1D Mark III and the handheld 400mm f/4 IS DO lens. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stops set manually: 1/800 sec. at f/7.1.

The image in this pane is the first in the two frame series. The wing tips were clipped about an inch. Canvas was added and the missing wing tips were created with a series of Quick Masks.

Arthur Morris
02-15-2009, 05:21 AM
This is the second frame in the series. Which do you like better and why?

BTW, Little Estero Lagoon at Fort Myers Beach.

Don't be shy: all comments on either or both images are welcome. I am here to learn too.

Phil Bayley
02-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Well I'm not sure which is better, they both have pluses, the first the wing position, the second the overall exposure and sharpness. I must commend you on your dedication, referring to the posting time.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Both are wonderful images but IMO I vote for the second because of the action you captured in this one Artie. It is action that I have not seen and really unusual with incredible timing. It almost looks like a skidded landing ? Love it !

Art Kornienko
02-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I prefer the second one because of it is a bit tighter crop and there is more to see of the body. It seems to be a bit sharper too, and I prefer that wing position better although there seems to be more waster turbulence from the feet in the second shot. Agree with Phil, on the posting time.

Paul Lagasi
02-15-2009, 07:54 AM
I prefer the first one....it almost looks like the bird has seen something in the water in front of him, that he wants no part of...and is really putting on the brakes, like the work on the wing tips you'd never know, the droplets of water are a plus for me...I just finished my night shift...but like both the pics..would love to get a photo like that...Paul

allanrube
02-15-2009, 08:14 AM
In my mind I call this "The Landing."
I like the first one more. The bird is caught as its landing in a pose that is not often seen. I think the viewers (especially those not used to bird images) would appreciate that.
The second one seems to show a lot of strain (looks that way to me though probably no strain to the ibis) while it appears after the fact (landing.)

susanschermer
02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi Artie. I prefer Image #1. I can understand how you clipped the wingtips as they are way above the birds head. I like it because it shows an action of braking (his body is leaning backward )#2 could be feeding, taking off or anything. The wing position of #1 is really dynamic. I realize the bird's head is not as graphic as #2 because it overlaps the wing, but I still find it the more interesting image.

John Chardine
02-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Haven't read previous posts so as not to be biased! I like no. 1 the best Artie. I find the wing position and splash/wake adds more interest than same in no. 2. Also I like the sharper focus of the water droplets in no. 1. For me the main problem with no. 2 is the prominent blurred wingtips. If they were not blurred I would have had a harder job deciding. I will say that no. 2 has a better compositional balance than no. 1. The comp. of no. 1 suffers a bit from the inclusion of the splash, which I would not want to leave out.

Rene' Villela
02-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi Artie! If my opinion is of any value I like the first shot better. My reasons are not technical but just the posture of the bird is really original. Is not a pose you see often! In either case they are both great!

PS. Thank you for the files. I haven't had time to take a look yet! Cheers!

Bob Blanchard
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I haven't read the previous posts, but I'll cast my vote for number 2. The wing position is away from the bird's head, and allows the viewers attention to be better focused on the bird's facial expression and eye contact, which IMO makes the image.

Ian McHenry
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
My preferred image is the second one.
Like the head angle, sharpness and whole frame appearance.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ramon M. Casares
02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
The pose from yhr first one IMO is more powerfull and has more action, also the water drops and splash looks better, so yes, IMO, I would go with the first one! Congratulaitons on both though.

adrian dancy
02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Mr Morris, before commenting I should say that I told myself I should choose very carefully before commenting on your photography and with good reason. When I started about 4 years ago I purchased your book along with a straightforward photography book. I was gobsmacked by your images and I still regard your book 'The Art of Bird Photography' as the best. So a big thanks, I like to think I saved myself a few mistakes from having read it. In Great Britain we have a handful of excellent photographers, Andy Rouse for wildlife (he can talk for England !) , and David Tipling for birds, but less well known for birds is Nigel Blake who is a real hard act to follow IMHO.

I have not read above comments (yet).

Both images are equally good. The first image, though occupying less of the frame might have a broader commercial appeal and be used in a non birding specific context. The bird is showing human qualities which would make it a dream for advertisers etc. The second image is superb for it's obvious merrit and is more birding specific. I hope that makes sense.

In the first image there is a feint highlight on the RHS of the bird's left wing tips which may benefit from being removed but that is being mega picky.

It may be a while before I upload an image...I'm way too fragile :)

Steve Maxson
02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Artie. You have two excellent images here. The diversity of views expressed above once again points out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As for me, I prefer the first one because it is so different from the norm in terms of the posture captured. It really grabs my attention. Also, if one wants to be anthropomorphic, you could say that the posture and look on the bird's face is one of surprise or "Whoa! - what have I gotten myself into here?" The only drawback I find in the second image is the blurred wingtips which I find somewhat distracting.

Sid Garige
02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
My vote for first image. A very unique pose and wing position is perfectly. Vertical on #1 will be a killer.

W T Lloyd
02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Sid nailed it. I prefer #2, because the body seems distorted in #1, but crop to vertical, and #1 is a totally different picture..

Isn't that funny?

Sid Garige
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Sid nailed it. I prefer #2, because the body seems distorted in #1, but crop to vertical, and #1 is a totally different picture..

Isn't that funny?

Name of the game - unique image of regular subject:)

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Personally I enjoy more seen the number 1 more than number two for a number of reasons.

1- The post processing done on the wing tips is incredible, if you don't tell, I would have not notice it.
2- I don't often get to see an Ibis landing in water like this guy is doing.
3- I don't know why, but the first image is more dramatic, at least for me.

My only minor nit is this faded spot noted down here.

KurtPreston
02-15-2009, 09:24 PM
#1 holds the most interest for me because the wing position seems to work better with it's 'facial expression'. It looks VERY surprised to have landed safely :)

Don Lacy
02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I prefer the Angel pose in the first image it has a stronger emotional impact for me then the second one which my be a little bit better technically but I would rather be moved then impressed.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
02-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Both excellent of course.
I prefer No 1, it is more dramatic and the stance is one more rarely caught than in No 2. I also like the semi translucence of the wings, this is not apparent in No 2.

Jon

Simon Bennett
02-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Both fine images - I prefer the first - perhaps the conductor of the swamp.

Ken Watkins
02-17-2009, 03:20 AM
IMHO number 1, the reason is the pose which is far more unusual and therefore more visually striking.

In comparison no 2 looks relatively ordinary.

Lance Peters
02-17-2009, 05:11 AM
#1 for me - lik the implied action and the feel that it gives the shot.

:)

Jasper Doest
02-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Nr 1 does it for me....your postprocessing is awesome in both captures...(great work on those wings...!). But the reason why I chose nr 1 is the fact that the first one gives me the sense of speed....it is still in full movement (from left to right) and you can feel that in this photograph. And in the second one, that speed is missing. It already slowed down and is less dynamic. What is your own choice and why?

Arthur Morris
03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Paul Lagasi asked me to revisit this. Thanks Paul. When I first posted these two, I like the second one better. But that was then. Now I feel that the first image is stronger because of the implied braking action and the "Oh My God" look on the bird's face. Thanks all for their comments.