PDA

View Full Version : Male Agama Lizard - Agama agama

John Lowin
02-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Another Samburu, Kenya image. This coloration is characteristic of the dominant male in reproductive color. I watched him head bobbing several times before I got this image. This a a slide scan so I don't have exposure information. Hope you like it. Critique and comments welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

Nikon N90S
Nikkor 200mm f/2.8
Handheld

Robert Amoruso
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
John,

I think you cropped this one well and the colors are certainly striking. As I cannot know for sure if this might be a bit too saturated, I mention it because even though the details look good inthe blue and red areas, a bit of desaturating may reveal more detail. Something to try. Nice work.

John Lowin
02-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Robert,

Thanks for your kind words.
I've desaturated the image, is this better? - John

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Really great pose in this image and the composition works works well. Love the vibrant color and the great eye. Congratulations on a fine image John .

John Lowin
02-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your kind comments Judy, Do you like the desaturated image better? - John

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi John, I have actually seen this species while in Kenya and they are quite vibrant in color so I was not surprised to see the striking color in the first post. Depending on how the light is hitting it will make the difference so both work well for me. Enjoyed seeing this !!!!

John Lowin
02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Judy. I actually think the first post is more accurate. When I saw this Agama the first time, the colors reminded me of some of the post WWII Japanese tin toys (probably long before your time). It truly looked artificial. I had a chance to photograph them again on subsequent trips, but never saw another one this brilliant. Did you see yours in Samburu as well? Thanks again! - John