PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day to fly

Michael Lloyd
02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
If you're a pilot then you'll get the title of this thread if not... the look of these clouds means one thing, severe turbulence. From what I saw it would not have been healthy to try to fly in this stuff. But, it made for a pretty picture.

Air is a very thin (low density) fluid and the clouds today really showed off the motion of the air mass that moved through here today.

Taken from my front yard...

EOS 1DsMKII
14mm f2.8L II

ISO 100
1/100 @ f8

Robert Amoruso
02-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Michael,

I like the FG placement of the horses, fence and building. I would suggest a FG crop to eliminate some of the grass. The clouds are quite dramatic and I was going to suggest some curves corrections to accentuate that. But wanted to try them out before making a suggestion I downloaded the image and made the adjustments and decided to upload it for discussion. So I cropped it to but moved you signature to preserve it.

I made two curves adjustments. The first increased the gamma in the FG by pulling up and left at the midpoint of the linear curve. I then masked out the clouds by painting black on them. I created another curves adjustment and lowered the gamma of the clouds by pulling down and right at the midpoint of the linear curve. This flattened the whote too much so I grabbed the curve at the 3/4 point and pulled it back up to a point coincident with its original location on the linear curve.

Michael Lloyd
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
WOW! I like it! That's more like what caused me to take the shot in the first place.

I don't use curves enough. I should probably train myself to use curves more often or at least enough to add it to my toolbox. Thanks Robert!

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Michael,
Just another tool in the very large toolbox! I often find when I'm not pleased with my usual tools.......I venture into some of the less familiar ones when I'm not thrilled with my original attempts. Robert really brought out the wow factor of the clouds and even added some depth to the FG. I see what drew you to that sky......Now if you can get that windmill with that sky!!!!