PDA

View Full Version : I'm Bored, Too

Julie Kenward
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Mike said he was really bored in his last post and I'd have to agree. Something about the end of winter makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and sleep until spring shows up. Today I forced myself to play with the gerbera daisy plant that has been blooming all through the winter in my kitchen windowsill. I wish the leaf would have been more in focus but chose this comp anyway because it shows a balance between the stamen in the ULC & the leaf poking through in the LRC.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM
f6.3 @ 1/25th, ISO 400
Manual mode, Daylight WB,
handheld, natural daylight, pattern metering
Processed in ACR & CS4. Slight crop, levels & curves adjustments.

Susan Griffith
02-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Julie,

That gerbera daisy has a nice range of hues, although the green leaf seems a bit out of place and even a little distracting. I can see what you were trying to accomplish with the way the leaf was placed. A little more DOF would have brought the center of the stamens into focus, but over all a great spring time feeling. After all, at this point in the winter we need that spring time feel.

:D

-Susan

Mike Moats
02-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey Jules, I will be interested to see what others think of the green leaf, I like that you are trying something different. I think I agree with Susan, that it looks out of place, but we as photogrpahers tend to like the standard what we're use to seeing look.

Aristotle Georgiou
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Love the colours, great composition and wonderful lighting!

I'm not to bothered by the leaf. What I would have liked to of seen, is more DOF. Showing of the center of the flower with fine detail would be nice.

But then again, looking at your ISO this would have been difficult to achieve.

Ed Vatza
02-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Hey Jules,

I'll give you an "A" for trying something different in these boring times. I must say that every time I look at the image I see the flower sticking out its (green) tongue at me. :eek:;)The leaf seems out of place and, as such, disconcerting. But I'm not sure that's a bad thing. On the contrary, shaking up the status quo can often be just what the doctor ordered. I would like to see the UL a little sharper though.