PDA

View Full Version : Mourning Dove On the Snow

John Lowin
02-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Image from my backyard. This was an early season snowfall while we still had leaves on the trees, thus the green bg. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome. I'm here to learn. - John

f/10 @ 1/60 ISO 100
Canon 1d Mk II
Canon EF 500mm 1:4 L IS
Gitzo 1325 CF
Wimberley Head

Alfred Forns
02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Sure like it John ... only wish you had the entire tail !!!!

Would suggest raising your ISO and opening the lens wide open. You don't want to end up with 1/60 sec when there is an easy way out. Could have more than double the shutter speed. btw most of the time we use that lens wide open even when using converters !!!! .... btw excellent exposure !!!

Doug Brown
02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Have to agree with Al here about shutter speed. You were on a tripod and your lens was stopped down, but the image lacks critical sharpness. An ISO bump and a larger aperture would have cured 1/60 as Al suggested. I like everything else about the image, although I would run some NR on the BG. Thanks for posting!

Nate Chappell
02-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Very nice John, I'd like to see a little wider view including the tail. I agree there's no reason to be shooting at iso 100 with that combo.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Very striking composition. Love the Dark BG and the snow combination and agree with Alfred about the tail. Excellent detail and exposure and thanks for sharing with us.