PDA

View Full Version : Grebe Falls Prey 6 - Final post (Graphic)

David Billingsley
02-13-2009, 10:55 PM
(Original Post) This may be a common occurrence, but I have never witnessed one. This took place at the San Bernard NWR near the upper Texas coast. The GBH attacked and killed the Grebe in about 48 seconds. The swallowing process took a little over ten minutes. Canon 40D, ISO 400, Evaluative metering, EC +1, f/5.6 @1/1600 sec, 500 F4 + 1.4 TC, BLUBB, Heavy crop - subject 100 yards from vehicle.

(Post #2) At this point, I didn't dream the GBH was going to try to swallow the Grebe whole. I wondered how it could position prey this size for head-first swallowing?? I will post several images of the process.

(Post #3) After a great deal of GBH tossing expertise, the Grebe was finally in position for lunch. Next came the hard part.

(Post #4) To assist swallowing, the GBH held the Grebe under water to soak and then proceed. The soaking was performed numerous times during the process. The water droplets show the tossing motion required to accomplish the swallowing task. Extreme crop.

(Post #5) Almost done - about ten minutes into the swallowing process. According to iBird Explorer Plus the GBH has been known to choke to death attempting to swallow too large prey. I was surprised it didn't happen to this one. Tomorrow - final series post.

(Post #6 - Final) Goodbye Grebe! What a neck and swallowing machine.

Thanks to all for the views and CCs on this series.

dave b.

Alfred Forns
02-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Dave I'm sure it must have been an experience !!!! Sure wish it was closer to the car or that had a 2.0X Did come up with a fine pose and love the look of concentration !!!

... btw I have seen a GBH hit a little green out cold !!! Not sure what happened after that ... that bird was large to swallow !!!

Nate Chappell
02-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for sharing this great sequence David, in this image I might have left a little more room at the bottom for the virtual legs.