PDA

View Full Version : Another Feather

Mike Moats
02-13-2009, 09:59 PM
I didn't mention in the last post that on Wednesday night I was bored so went down in the basment and got out some props to play with. The feathers were shot under florescent lighting with white balance set for this type of light. Used a Tamron 90 macro on my S5, f/stop at f/36 at 15 sec shutter speed. This is a peacock feather

Susan Griffith
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Mike,

I love how the iridescence comes of the peacock feather comes through to accentuate the patterns.

-Susan

Joseph Martines
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Man, I'm going to have to stop at the feather farm and get some feathers. Wonder if they have them at Michael's???

Mike, I hope this isn't out of line - I have the 90 mm Tamron macro. What is the preferred 180 mm Macro - Canon, Tamron, or Sigma (to be used with a Canon body)??

Mike Moats
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey Joseph, it depends on what you want to shoot, if your just shooting flowers and stationary subjects the Tamron 90 will work fine, and is a very sharp shooting lens. If your interested in shooting subjects that will take off when you get close, like dragonflies, butterflies, frogs, the longer 180's will give you more working distance away from the subject. The longer lenses tend to blur backgrounds better than the shorter focal lengths. All of these 180's will produce good images. So it all comes down to how much you can afford and what you want to shoot.

Joseph Martines
02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Mike:

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually. the reason I am considering the 180 mm is that I understand that my field of vision will be narrowed and force me into different perspectives of the same subject.

Since I like to take advantage of botanical gardens, I would have the advantage of "being closer" to subjects further away - hence, improving my macro photography. I have found that being penny wise and pound foolish just costs more money in the long run. I really like L lenses though the price of the Canon 180 is 2 to 3 times as much as the Tamron and Sigma.

Some shots from last week are here, if you care to look:

http://picasaweb.google.com/martines34/FranklinConservatoryColumbus21109837PM#

Julie Kenward
02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Beautiful colors on this Mike! Love the comp as usual - Great diagonal and nice to see the circular area in the middle to break up the long lines.

Ed Vatza
02-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Color, pattern, texture are all perfect, Mike. Excellent job.