PDA

View Full Version : red rock canyon----advice re color?

Hazel Grant
02-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi, I'm out west this week and we saw this mtn near the Grand Canyon. Love the shot, but am not sure what to do re the color. The intense red with the storm cloud is what was there and also what attracted me, but overall, it seems when keeping the color, I have a very dark photo. Any suggestions re working this out, or am I stuck with the better of two bad choices? PS....if the size is small, sorry, to post it at the 800 pixels on the side, it came out very small.
Nikon D40x hand held 1/160, F5, focal length 22mm ISO 400

Gus Cobos
02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi Hazel,
This is a beautiful photograph...you do have the rich reds and earth tones...the composition is good, as for the exposure, I recommend on opening up the mid-tones on the reds and lightening about 2 percent especially the bottom, to bring out the details...the sky I would leave as is...it's beautiful...congrats...please repost after you tweak this one up, would like to see your final master piece...:):cool:

Richard Waas
02-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Hazel, I love this image. It really tells the story of a serene low in the sky sun. I've never touched another's photo, so I hope you don't mind. I just applied a little levels and curves adjustment, leaving the sky alone. I hope you like my version.

Alfred Forns
02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Great suggestions and the re post looks great With these images you want emphasize transitions and subtle tonal changes Love the mood !!!!

Hazel Grant
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the comliments but also mostly the color advice. I just didn't know where to start on this one. Itll be a few days before I can re post because I am traveling and don't have PS available, only iphoto. Will work on it and repost then. Thanks again.

Hazel Grant
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your work. I can see how the sun now reflects off the rock more. Ill work on it and repost.

Gus Cobos
02-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Hazel,
This is what I was talking about; Mr. Waas' illustration on the repost covers the points very well...:cool:

Lance Peters
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Agree with Gus's techs - richards repost is on the money - well done :)